Filtering my tasks on Asana board does not show subtasks

Briefly describe (1-2 sentences) the Bug you’re experiencing:
In my team’s Asana board, when I use the quick filter “just my tasks” or filter by assignee = [my name], my tasks show up but not subtasks. This makes it easy to overlook work that is assigned to me.

Steps to reproduce:
Create a task that is assigned to you.
Create a task that is NOT assigned to you, but that has subtasks assigned to you.
In board, filter by tasks assigned to you.
Tasks will appear in the filter, but not the subtasks.
Both tasks and subtasks appear in the home page though (I think this is a preferable/ more useful filter to display in the boards as well).

Browser version:
Google Chrome
Version 87.0.4280.88 (Official Build) (x86_64)

Upload screenshots below:

6 Likes

I am not sure if they decided to make it a feature, but that could be by design. Subtasks are not part of the project, so when you filter for “task” it might always remove the subtasks… Not sure, I’ll let @Emily_Roman or @Marie jump on to confirm!

It is actually the same thing in list view.

1 Like

Hi @Chantal_Remillard, welcome to the Asana Community Forum! This is working as expected and not a bug. When you filter tasks Boards or List view the filter doesn’t apply to subtasks. As @Bastien_Siebman mentioned, subtasks are currently not automatically associated to the project.

If you wish to see subtasks in your Board view, you can add them to the project.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

3 Likes

Thanks for getting back to me on this. I recognize that it may not be a bug but I don’t think it is the desired/ logical behavior from a user perspective. I know that many people on my team have found this behavior strange, and other teams probably do as well. Perhaps consider adding it to a product request, or revisiting the user experience of this feature.

18 Likes

I agree with @Chantal_Remillard. I think it is much more intuitive to have subtasks of a task under a project automatically assigned to the project.

5 Likes

I just tried the approach mentioned in the “Help with Asana subtasks” and that is not what I want! I don’t want the subtask to show up on my project board when I add it to the project. It is a subtask. That makes the board cluttered. What I want is for the filter by assignee to show main tasks in which they have subtasks assigned to them. I believe this is the intuitive approach.

18 Likes