Viewing My Subtasks in a Project

Ok.

I need a simple list of all the things I am responsible for in a given project.

It makes no sense to be ‘menu-diving’ through all tasks and sub-subtasks to put together that perspective.

The Filter function in projects is great. But it only shows tasks. No subtasks. *(1.)

I could go to My Tasks, but of course subtasks in My Tasks, somewhat controversially, don’t reference the projects they are in. *(2.)

So I think that leaves me with reports. I can create a report that shows all tasks and subtasks assigned to me for a given project. So that works.

But it means I have to

Refine search > In projects > (search for the project) > Click Search .

for every project I want to review. Or duplicate my project hierarchy with a bunch of saved reports.

QUESTION: Are those really my best options? Or am I missing something?

(*1. Sub-Q1: Seems like adding a subtask filter here would be the best solution.)

(*2. Sub-Q2: Why is that, anyway? There must some mysterious logic behind this.).

7 Likes

I don’t think you are missing anything. Sub tasks are kinda hidden, however with the latest list layout redesign, there is a new subtask counter on tasks. I would personally hate to see subtasks in the center lane, that would clutter everything.

Maybe what you need is more sections to hold subtasks as tasks rather than tasks with subtasks.

1 Like

Thanks Bastien.

I also agree that it’s good for subtasks to stay hidden at the surface view of a project.

But really it seems silly that there isn’t a way within a project to simply filter for all tasks assigned to me.

I do use Sections in the way you suggest. That gives us two layers of nesting that are easy to review.

But when developing more involved projects, such as running a small construction site, for example, inevitably we need more than two layers. As soon as subtasks are used, it becomes difficult to review.

Also, if we want to use the timeline view effectively, which is essential for our construction projects, main tasks need to be tasks, not section headers.

Of course, there are kludgy ways to hack all of these gotchas. The report I mentioned is the best one I’ve found so far and that’s a pretty weak solution.

2 Likes

I have seen clients stuck with the idea that 1 subject = 1 project. Maybe in your case, a construction site needs to be managed with several projects instead of one. And you can have one project holding only the milestones from all the “sub” projects.

1 Like

Interesting.

1. What do you mean by ‘subject’ in this case?

2. It sounds like you’re suggesting creating a project that serves as a summary to contain the milestones of a group of related projects. I can see how that would be a good way to build a useful timeline view while allowing more flexibility with how tasks are described within the ‘sub’-projects themselves. I assume you would include top-level tasks as well in addition to milestones?

3. That’s a helpful tip. It still leaves the fact that if you use subtasks, and especially sub-subtasks, it is very difficult to review. I can see how your suggestion could give us a 3rd layer, effectively.

We run a management services platform with teams that work across 18 companies. So the sub-layers can be very useful, especially when developing any detailed protocol that involves a multitude of steps.

But of course, without an effective filter for subtasks assigned to a person within a project, that utility is compromised.

It sounds like your suggestions are aimed at reducing the use of subtasks as much as possible. Is that basically the intent as you understand best practice?

1. Managing a construction site can seen as a subject, and you could limit yourself by only creating a single project for it.

2. Yes why not!

3. This suggestion can help you remove subtasks, or at least help promote some subtask to task.

I do try to limit subtasks for exactly the same issue you raised: we don’t see them in the main list. But if someone wants to split a big tasks into subtasks, why not! The overall progress of the main task can be shown using tags, custom fields, update of the name…

1 Like

Cool. Thank you Bastien!

I will definitely take your suggestion on board to use ‘summary’ projects. I see in many cases how that will allow me to create timeline views that include key deliverables without all the noise of the project details.

Your other suggestions are good hacks for the fact that the only way for me to review subtasks assigned to me is through reports.

I still think it is silly that subtasks are handicapped in that way.

Seems to me that a subtask quick-filter inside the project filters is the ultimate answer.

Subtask quick-filters would be a natural and complete solution to the problem and would meaningfully increase the utility of the nested subtasks functionality.

2 Likes

The crux of this issue is: when we assign subtasks to team members, they have to click through all the parent tasks to see their list of to-dos, or run a report. Asking us to not use sub-tasks is not the right answer. I’d love to filter tasks by assignee, and just a have a check box that says “include subtasks”

I’m running projects for creatives. This needs to be painless for them.

11 Likes

Does anyone know if there is a feature request for the “checkbox include subtasks”? I am also struggling with this because sometimes the subtasks are assigned to different people.

3 Likes

I want to thank you your intelligent inquiry that lead me to get the answers I also needed. Best regards.

Here to echo the fact that subtasks are handicapped by this! I spent several hours pouring over the details of a huge project and finally went to organize My Tasks page with all my new tasks to find that none of them are marked with the project which is BONKERS.

I agree that for creatives it needs to be painless. My team can’t see a giant list of tasks within tasks and not see the parent project. It will take me hours to re-do. This is a flaw in the system that someone should correct. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes