Repro:
Create a breakdown of a project in a Google sheet. I am creating milestones and tasks that have each milestone as a parent of the tasks. When I create a filter on a new tab in the project, and I filter based upon task type = task. Once the filter is applied, it is only showing orphaned tasks (non-parented tasks to Milestones). This seems like a bug. Can someone please advise if this should work?
Simplified repro with table. If I create these Milestones / tasks in the app and parent the tasks to the milestones, the tasks are not treated as subtasks. When I create the tasks via import of CSV it creates those tasks as subtasks.
| Name |
Description |
Section |
Assignee |
Collaborators |
Start Date |
Due Date |
Type |
Dependents |
Other Information |
Parent Task |
| Milestone 1 |
blah |
section 1 |
|
|
|
|
Milestone |
|
|
|
| task 1 |
bleh |
section 1 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Milestone 1 |
| task 2 |
blih |
section 1 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Milestone 1 |
Hi @Ben_Grover , welcome to the forum 
Perhaps you are creating dependencies instead? What do you mean by ‘parent the tasks’? I cannot see how they would not be treated as subtasks, unless the subtasks are also added to the project and you can also see them there.
Based on your table, that is expected behaviour.
Some screenshots would help, if you are able to upload them here or elsewhere.
Hey @Richard_Sather -
I now realize that parenting doesn’t work, because it automatically creates tasks as “subtasks” when you parent them.
However, when I try to use “Dependents” field to set up a blocking / blocked by relationship between milestones and tasks, I’m still running into trouble with import.
Repro:
| Name |
Description |
Section |
Assignee |
Collaborators |
Start Date |
Due Date |
Type |
Dependents |
| [App] task 1 |
|
section 1 |
|
|
|
|
Task |
|
| [App] task 2 |
|
section 1 |
|
|
|
|
Task |
|
| milestone 1 |
|
section 1 |
|
|
|
1/3/2025 |
Milestone |
[App] task 1, [App] task 2 |
It seems to be adding a different field called “Dependents” instead of using the built-in concept of dependencies. (or at least that’s what I suspect from looking at the fields in the milestone after importing).
Yes, that is expected and what one would consider ‘parent/child’ tasks in Asana.
Thanks for the screenshots, that helps. I noticed that the Dependents field is a simple text field that may likely have been created upon CSV import, or already existed in the project. To fix your issue, you will need to reimport again (ideally, into a new project) but this time, click on Make changes instead of Go to project (make a habit of ALWAYS doing this).
Then, click on the header of each column to make sure they are all mapped correctly. In your case, click on the Dependents column and make sure it is mapped to the native Dependents option (with the
icon).
I used your table in the example below so it should work - it actually pre-selected the
Dependents field for me but sometimes the CSV importer needs a little nudge in the right direction.
If the native
Dependents field is greyed out, Asana will prompt you with the issue when you hover your mouse over it - likely to do with incorrect spelling of the task name or the tasks should be listed before the dependant task in the CSV.
Awesome, that’s really weird about having to modify the import, maybe someone else at the company had created a separate Dependents field. Not sure why Asana would allow this, but 
Thanks for the help, selecting the Dependents with the hourglass shape during import fixes the problem!