Feature request: Markdown

Lack of markdown is the only negative Iā€™ve found using Asana so far.

As a developer, typing into a rich text box is like typing with several fingers tied in knots.

3 Likes

Dude, they donā€™t care about this.

1 Like

This is the image

I was forced to swap to Asana in place of my personal PM favorite Notion.so. As a 1 man QA Team, itā€™s crucial to be able to have markdown as Iā€™m constantly making recommendations that need to be wrapped as code, or have inline pictures. With Notion, I was able to copy and paste directly from my notes in Notion to Jira and it was perfect. My workload is now massively more cumbersome with Asana being thrown into the mix.

My only hope is that theyā€™ve got such an outdated code base that theyā€™re literally unable to implement this feature - that I get as Iā€™ve seen it happen first hand. If this hasnā€™t been implemented for 3 years just because they donā€™t see any benefit to doing so, thatā€™s a big yikes. Regardless, the lack of the Product teamsā€™s ownership, involvement, and open-ness in this thread over the past 2 years is not confidence inspiring.

Please help me Asana, youā€™re my only hope.

5 Likes

Thanks, that certainly helps. This can help with creating a code block syntax style comment.

1 Like

Here in 2020 because ā€¦ holy **** how is this not a thing?

<insert other rationale here thatā€™s not worth typing because asana clearly doesnā€™t care about this feature>

2 Likes

Yeah, it would be totally nice to have a temporary or profile-wide switch to default to other input method. Itā€™s done much better on GihHub ā€” you can use markdown by editing raw message or see the results.

Definitely there should be a path to streamline conversion from old to new text fields, so old fields can be automatically converted to the new version. On the other hand having markdown correctly supported and also having in-platform full guide to it is a real +.

1 Like

So, when will the second most voted feature request will be implemented?

8 Likes

Well, it took them like 4 years to implement anchor text for hyperlinks. So who knows?

1 Like

@lpb: thanks for the tip, I didnā€™t know that Cmd+Shift+M option was available. I still think Markdown is a no-brainer to include, but that was nice to discover. Thanks.

2 Likes

Come on now, this is a basic feature that would solve so many issues.
I donā€™t understand how they just ignore this requestā€¦

2 Likes

The Asana tasks manager wysiwyg is really lacking. Giving any technical description to a task is a nightmare without formatting. Any specific variable or

// Block
// of
// code

and

Quotes

are very useful in 90% of our developing workflow. Sharing task details on another tool (like Slack) just because its more readable is ridiculous.

Please, this feature request is 3 years old, why is this not implemented yet? Smaller new apps like Backlog already comes with it, but the rest of their tool is a mess. I want to continue to use Asana for my team, but the lack of technical formatting is really slowing things down.

Markdown is shared among the most useful productivity tools, itā€™s easy to learn and you can even hide it under a wysiwyg if you wish. This quality of life feature would really do a difference.

5 Likes

Please consider prioritizing this. The horrendous WYSIWYG trips me up each an every day.

4 Likes

Yes, we use asana to manage all our company tasks, among them, the development circle, and it would be a breakthrough if we can write code specs using markdown within our tasks body and comments.
PLEASE MAKE THIS HAPPEN

2 Likes

A lot of people weighing in on this so I didnā€™t read all the comments. Apologies if this is a repeat.

Iā€™m a Customer Success Engineer. I work with customers implementing our on-premise chat product, Mattermost. Hereā€™s the workflow Iā€™m attempting to string together (that I think Markdown could help with):

• Type out raw notes as the customer is talking. Some things are follow-up tasks, some things are status updates on their deployment, some are internal-facing notes/tasks I would not necessarily share with the customer, some of them are external facing. I could author this in a templated markdown block, and would love to be able to post it into Asana, our product, maybe a Google doc, and also Salesforce (although I donā€™t have any hope for Salesforce rendering the markdown) Integrations that do all this for me is the dreamā€¦ but I think Markdown might be the first step
  • I would like to be able to paste this markdown into an Asana Project ā€œStatus Updateā€ā€¦ alternatively, Iā€™d like to author in the Asana editor and be able to copy the markdown that I can send to other places (e.g., our Enterprise chat app). I know I can copy the rendered markdown and paste into Asana, but its not a perfect paste (carriage returns, when used to space out sections, seem to turn into bullets in Asana).

Fyiā€¦from Asanaā€™s Head of Product, @Alex_Hood:

Larry

5 Likes

Hi folks, and thank you so much for sharing your feedback and actively advocating for this feature to be implemented. Weā€™re excited to share that weā€™re markdown is coming to Asana! To learn more, have a look at Introducing markdown shortcuts in Asana. Weā€™re moving this thread to the Feature Launched categories, but keeping it open so you can let us know what additional markdown features youā€™d like to see implemented next.

5 Likes