Downloads in Safari open new blank tab.

Briefly describe (1-2 sentences) the Bug you’re experiencing: When downloading an uploaded file from asana desktop in Safari a new blank tab is created and focused on.

Steps to reproduce: Download an uploaded file from asana in Safari

Browser version: Safari Version 13.0.1 (14608.2.11.1.11)

Upload screenshots below: blank page

Hi @Alexis_Rivera and thanks for the report.

I tried to reproduce your issue and Safari, and although it took a little longer than in Chrome, I was able to load the attachment. What happens if you wait a few seconds, does it eventually load?

Also, is this happening with different attachments, or have you noticed it is specific to one attachment?

Could you potentially record a screencast to help us investigate? Loom is a great app for video screencasts: https://www.useloom.com/

In your video screencast, we recommend that you use a Chrome Incognito window and have your Javascript console open:

Try to include the entire browser window, including URL bar, in the video screencast.

I look forward to your reply!

Thanks for the quick response. However, my issue is not that I can not download the attachment but the fact that it creates a separate blank tab in the browser. It also places the focus on said blank tab which adds a few extra steps to my workflow. Will attempt a screen cast at some point.

Thanks for the quick follow-up @Alexis_Rivera and apologies for the confusion here.

Got you! I think this is actually a Safari feature, you can disable it from Safari Preferences:

Access your preferences:

And disable “open safe files after downloading”

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you but this unfortunately is not the fix to the issue as I have already disabled that feature. This started when the new List View was implemented.

My files download but a new blank tab/page is created.

1 Like

Thank you so much for sharing this screencast, it is super helpful to understand the issue you’re experiencing. I’ve gone ahead and filed a task for our development team to investigate, I’ll keep you posted as soon as I have an update on my end!

1 Like

I’ve also removed the screencast from the public thread to protect your private info, but I’ve attached it to my bug report :slight_smile:

1 Like

Was a solution found for this? I am experiencing the exact same problem.

1 Like

Me too! Any solution?

looking for solution to this also

A bit over 4 months and still have this weird glitch when downloading files from Asana. Any updates on this?

Still experiencing this too

Nothing yet?

“Nothing yet?” Yes there would be, but my post is apparently stuck in an akismet queue, for daring to include a hyperlink. Who knows if that’ll ever see the light of day.
I’ve found a solution that works for me, and hopefully helps other Safari users here, but you’ll have to click on my profile and locate my website. Presently it’s the most recent post entitled. “Disable Blank Tabs in Safari.”
Hope it proves useful :slight_smile:

I joined up specifically to answer this question on behalf of the Safari community, but my trial will soon expire, and so my profiles with it, in which case just search tumblr for the title “Disable Blank Tabs in Safari.”, or use hash tags.
Au revoir asana :wink: