Different Project Views for Different Use Cases - Custom Fields

One of the simple things that actually make a difference.

You can save different project views that are customised to your needs.
This is different from the generic ones prepoulated by asana.

Let us say you have a project populated with different custom fields. This project is to track your sales pipeline for example.
One of the custom fields is region.

you know you can save different views per region. When you do this customisation, you can also change the order of the custom fields to better suit the needs of the team. Moving the order of the custom fields will not carry over to different project views.

In this example, the project original list view has design support, department, content, region, status amongst other.

You can save project view only for EMEA team for example.
Work with the filter option available for you. In this instance, I filtered all incomplete tasks. I added the region custom field and selected UK and EMEA. Once done, click on save view and select save as a new tab.

Screenshot 2024-04-29 at 12.28.06

Once done, the view is saved at the end of your project view options. You can rename this view. In this case, EMEA/UK. What I have done is change the order of Region from the end of the custom fields to the begining. This is for demo purposes only. When you do this, you can hide the region custom field from project view altogether.

Why is this feature helpful?

For me, I sometimes work with projects that include two types of tasks:
1 - Project management tasks related to the project
2 - Operational tasks specfic for product developmement or other support departments that would be operational during the life of this project.

So as not to clutter the project ivew with everything (noi matter how clear your sections are), I prefer to create a view which is Project Mgt View intended for management / and project progress catch ups.
The other views I save, are intended to be useful for other departments working / supporting this project but have no interest in the entire project delivery.

PS - When you finish customising your view, make sure you delete all the other views you do not want. Forexample, you can remove calendar view, files view and any other prepopualted tab you do not use. :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Great tip!

Adding to that: You can even save links directly to specific tabs:

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing such a detailed breakdown, @Rashad_Issa! It’s beneficial to see how others optimize their workflow within Asana. We’ve definitely found separating views into tabs incredibly useful too.

Your walkthrough on customizing views per region is particularly insightful. It’s amazing how tailoring views can streamline collaboration and focus efforts. We’ve similarly leveraged separate tabs in various projects, finding it immensely helpful in filtering out noise and honing in on what’s pertinent to each team or project phase.

In our experience, managing the number of tabs is crucial for maintaining clarity and efficiency. We tend to stick to a few key tabs per project to avoid overwhelming ourselves or our teammates (although you can have a maximum of 11 - I would not recommend for most projects).

Your tip on pruning unnecessary tabs is spot-on—it’s a small step that makes a big difference in keeping everything organized and accessible.
Looking forward to more insights from you, Rashad!

Thank you,

1 Like

Thank you so much @Rich_Ward
I totally agree. In every workflow, too much customisation is not a good thing.

Glad you found this insightful.

Rashad

Yes, this is very useful. I can finally save the link tot he project overview, when I want to share it in a kick off meeting. Super Handy!

1 Like