Desktop Asana app

Hello @anon16276718 and thanks for sharing! This is Also possible in Chrome by going to the top right corner and press the three-dotted icon → More tools → Create Shortcut

If you tick the “Open new window” during the pop-up prompt, it will not launch as a new tab in your Chrome browser, but in its own dedicated window.

It is the best workaround for this to use it offline thus far. I do +99999999 on an actual native application in the future as well.

• Jack
1 Like

Our team has been using Asana for a few months now. In the beginning we were only using it for long term projects, but after the task app we use called Wunderlist was recently acquired by Microsoft, we switched our all of our daily tasks over to Asana as well. So far it’s a pretty good experience with the exception of having to use Asana in a browser tab. PLEASE create a desktop version. It’s far easier to navigate to the app menu than trying to find a tab. If there isn’t a desktop version by the end of the year, unfortunately we will likely be switching to another option.

3 Likes

I feel like a Desktop App would help my folks get even more on board to Asana–like they did with Slack.

5 Likes

Hi there +7 for desktop apps (7 since that’s my team size and anyone wants this). Main reason is quicker workflow, better notifications and offline support while traveling.

Please increase the priority of this!

7 Likes

I would love a desktop version of this App. I recently switched from another PM app to Asana and not having the desktop capabilities is the only thing holding me back from giving Asana a perfect 10. A desktop version would make navigating and developing projects so much easier for myself and the other freelancers I work with.

6 Likes

It’s now been years of Asana staff just merging these threads into one another without any sort of comment or actual response. How about an actual response from the team? Hundreds upon hundreds of your customers are asking you something.

3 Likes

I came here looking for some sort of answer and found that they are indeed just ignoring us. Some in my team think this is a good “app” to use, and I think it is ok, but having it run in a browser tab makes it almost useless for me. Its infuriating as it just rips through system resources when you need to use other browser tabs and software. This needs to be a low resource open all the time app, not some terrible in-browser software.

1 Like

As a Mac developer (and iOS) they should have had a Mac App using Catalyst (built into Xcode) last November (giving 2 months to get it out the door). Why, oh why, can’t we have a low-resource app that won’t quit and go away every time I have to quit my browser???

1 Like

asana just released a new integration with Microsoft Teams, and while good, having a small dedicated macOS app would go a long way. I would like to be able to have something, even if it is a web wrapper, that allows for keyboard quick entry, system notifications, and overall integration with the OS that a native app allows.

Like others have said, it has been a VERY long time and while web apps are good, they are not the end all for applications. Maybe with the new Apple software being announced on Monday, there will be some features that asana has been waiting on to bing their app to macOS.

Hey @Marie it has been over a year since there has been any update. Could you or someone provide some info if this is on the roadmap or not? A lot has changed in a year so any guidance would be helpful. Thank you!

It would be great and very helpful having a desktop app for Mac. It’s more proactive for me and my team. Why not make this a priority when users request the function @Marie? :slight_smile:

So I am guessing, and it is a guess, that since Big Sur was announced as having full support for iPad apps natively this means we will be able to finally get asana on the Mac :slightly_smiling_face:

However, it would be nice is asana did go a little further and enabled the full Mac experience in the iPad app and turned it into a Universal app.

1 Like

Hi @Will and @LCB,

This is something our team is often re-evaluating and while we don’t share our roadmap publicly, I’ll make sure to keep you posted here as soon as I have some news!

1 Like

Can you please please please create a doc icon (desktop app) for Mac computer. That is the one thing that Asana really needs to do. Accessing through a web browser is not ideal.

1 Like

Hello @Marie,

Sorry for bothering you with this. I appreciate you don’t share a public roadmap because keeping exact timelines might not be feasible. However, you might want to consider sharing a high-level forecast on what you are planning to work on and implement in the next year, just to manage the user expectations.

Also, while sorting by votes in the Product Feedback category, I see that this feature is amongst the top ideas by number of votes. Does this mean that we can expect at least a confirmation that you are going to work on this relatively soon? :slight_smile:

Thanks,
Andras

I would also add that if something in the product feedback has one of the highest votes that the product maker should look at doing it. What is the point of having a feedback system and voting if the top items are not done, just passed over for other items?

What it seems like is just a way for the product groups to point for people to put energy into but not have any plans to do it.

Are there any plans to create a desktop version of Asana?

Hi @Shane_Mohr, thanks for reaching out!

We don’t have immediate plans to create a desktop version of Asana but this is something our team is often re-evaluating. This is also a very popular request in the forum. I’ve gone ahead and merged your thread with Desktop Asana app to avoid duplicates and centralize feedback. We’ll make sure to update the main thread as soon as we have news.

Is this project still active? The beta subdomain for your site doesn’t seem to resolve.

Would it be possible to get a public statement from Asana on some of the reasons this fails to pass evaluation?

A desktop app is a lot of work, it’s true. But honestly, we’ve been working less and less in Asana and more and more in Slack. There are two reasons for this:

1. Lack of a performant, dedicated desktop app for Asana
  2. Lack of developer oriented features (markdown for instance)

A dedicated desktop app (even if it’s an Electron wrapper) would mean

• Huge speed gain: because you’re caching assets and part of the application itself locally (much better than React on web)

• Dedicated memory and overall less end-user issues because it’s running on its own, not within a browser thread within a collection of many other tabs that are constantly being co-managed

• No need to setup browser tab, just click the desktop app icon and go

• Native OS notifications and updates

• Native app-specific preferences (notifications, accessibility, localization, etc.)

• A native search would be an immense productivity gain

Imagine all of your apps were suddenly browser only. Adobe CS, Slack, Calendar, Messaging, code editors, etc. all had to live within Chrome/Firefox/Safari/Edge tabs.

It would probably be a really cumbersome and non-performant way to do things.

Well, that’s what Asana feels like right now. It’s not enjoyable to use. Often I’ll write out my tasks elsewhere and just paste them into Asana at the end of the work day, for the benefit of my team.

I thought Asana would make my life easier. But it has actually just added additional overhead.

4 Likes