Dependent Tasks that you Own

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone else finds this as not working as expected.

Have just recently upgraded to Premium. So thought I would give Dependent tasks a go to see how useful they can be in my GTD workflow. So mucked around with it for a couple of days and was not getting notified when completing the dependant task. So shot off a note to support this morning, have just received a reply.

Seems dependent tasks only work if the assignee for either task is not the same person. So if you are the owner of both tasks you won’t get notified at all, which for me is very disappointing was very much looking forward to using this functionality to help me. So now I still have to use due dates for dependent tasks rather they relying on the notification.

What are others thoughts or do you have a work around in place?

Jason.

I think it is a valid point that one can have dependent tasks where they are the assignee on the precedent task. Agree

1 Like

Hi @Jason_Woods! How fun that you now get to play with Premium. I’m surprised to hear that you’re using dependent tasks for your own personal workflows, but I can understand that it would be nice to have a friendly reminder of what comes next, especially if strict due dates aren’t important (whether or not that’s the case for you). I actually haven’t found a need for this, even when I don’t have strict due dates. Instead, I have a habit of checking my parent project, tasks, and subtasks to confirm that I’ve completed all tasks in a list. For instance, if I have a parent task with 5 subtasks, each time I complete a subtask I check back on the parent task to confirm what I have left to do and then when I’m finished I check off the parent task. Sometimes if I don’t want to forget about subtasks I’ll assign an estimated due date so the tasks automatically populate the Today section in my My Tasks and I can choose to keep the due date and work on the task, or push the due date and work on the task later.

@Alexis Yes as a workaround I do use due dates to flag the dependencies.

I mainly use it when there are links between tasks that are linked but aren’t subtasks. So as an example, I have two distinct tasks being “Publishing of Program Structure” and “Publish Initiative Structure” both of them are independent however I can’t Publish the Initiative structure until I have publish the program structure. So using Dependencies is a great way of linking them together.

Jason.

1 Like

@Jason_Woods This is not a great solution but is it possible you could use two email addresses?

Yeah @James_Carl I had thought about that and had played around with this before dependancies where a thing. It caused issue with checking multi inboxes…
I may revisit and also look at custom fields.

Jason.