Not receiving notifications when dependent tasks are complete

Briefly describe (1-2 sentences) the Bug you’re experiencing:
In the past I have liked getting notifications when tasks one of my tasks depends on are marked complete. I just tested this feature today but it did not generate a notification in my Inbox.

Steps to reproduce:

• I created Task 1 assigned to me
  • I created Task 2 assigned to me
  • I made Task 2 dependent on Task 1
  • I marked Task 1 complete
  • I went to my Inbox to check if I received a notification. I did NOT receive a notification

Browser version:
Chrome Version 77.0.3865.120 (Official Build) (64)

Note
Cross-posted (with edits) on #tipsandtricks: Notifications on dependent sub-tasks - #16 by Katriel_Friedman

Hi @Katriel_Friedman,

I think what you’re seeing is that notifications are not created when you mark a dependency task complete where you are also the assignee on its dependent task; only when others mark the dependency complete and you’re the assignee. The assumption in play is that you don’t need to be notified when you’re doing the completion since you already know that you marked it complete.

EDIT: Ooops, after I posted this I saw that you mentioned this behavior in another thread as well, and Larry already replied to you with the same answer as I did!

2 Likes

Ah. If this is the intended behavior, I don’t think it is a good choice. One of the things I want out of dependencies is a foolproof way of reminding myself to get started on something when another condition is met. I asked on the other thread if there’s a #productfeedback post about this.

2 Likes

Totally agree with @Katriel_Friedman.

The reason I set the dependency in the first place was so that there would be a reminder to start on a different task (which may be in a different project). This is especially true when working through complex projects created from template where the workflow isn’t always clear relative to interconnected projects. This is especially problematic when I’ve moved the dependent task to the Later/Upcoming section (as is often the case) and that dependent task has no due date to make it escalate to the Today section.

2 Likes

I was looking for a way to get notified on my own dependent tasks as well. Does anyone know if there is a way to do this?

1 Like

The problem with the solution (“the assumption in play is that you don’t need to be notified when you’re doing the completion since you already know that you marked it complete”) is that if you’re the individual who created both the original and dependent tasks, and you complete the original task from “My Tasks” (not from inside the project), you won’t see the dependent task being converted to a regular task. And if no one was assigned to that dependent task and/or it doesn’t have a due date, there is a risk that it just sits there.

Yes, one should always be doing regular reviews of all projects, but…this behavior kind of defeats the purpose of being able to set dependent tasks. I assume there are many of us who use Asana in a solo or very-small-team setting where we are usually doing all this ourselves.

I really think that the user should get a message in their Inbox saying, “hey, you completed this task, so you should now check out the dependent task,” irrespective of whether or not it was the user alone who created the original and dependent tasks.

2 Likes