Dependencies with days delta to automatically update due dates

Hey Asana Team,

I use Asana on a daily basis managing 50+ programs for launch of new buildings. One of the issues I have found is with the use of dependencies. Dependencies work well to block tasks being completed before the dependent task is completed.

The issue I have found is when there is a delay in the timeline, moving the dependant task by 1 week does not update the correlating tasks, requiring 100+ tasks to be reviewed and updated manually.

I would appreciate the ability to build a date dependent task that occurs X days after the dependent task. (Similar to MS project). This would enable me to use standard timelines as a template to create the project and have the dates automatically align when a critical task is updated impacting the final launch.

Many Thanks
Dan

Hi @DWilliams-Castle, welcome to the Asana Community Forum! Dates for precedent and dependent tasks can automatically be updated if a change occurs that results in an overlap in the dates of any of the tasks. This feature is currently available on your Timeline view and you can enable it here:

You can find more details in this article: Creating task dependencies | Product guide • Asana Product Guide

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions :slight_smile:

Thank you for this Emily.

I spend a majority of my time within the task view rather than the GANTT view. Is this option available for task view?

It also only seems to update the task to day +1 of the dependency even if the original date was +7 days.

Thanks for getting back to me, @DWilliams-Castle! This feature is currently available in Timeline view, you can upvote here if you want to have it also in List view → Auto-shifting dates for dependent tasks when dates changed in list/board view.

In regards to your second question, if the task was late for one day and the due date was updated, the dependent tasks will be pushed back by one day.

Hi @DWilliams-Castle,

You might want to also take a look at our Flowsana integration, as it will shift dependent tasks in all Asana views (and has a few other differences with Asana’s dependency-shifting as well).

2 Likes

I recommend checking any date-shifting that occurs due to dependencies, as I have seen some unwanted behavior.

This topic was automatically closed after 11 days. New replies are no longer allowed.