Dependencies blocked by?

I got confirmation we’re still in the A/B test phase @Marissa_Taffer, we should have an update on the next steps within a week or two!

1 Like

Hi, I think these are now “in the wild” – they appeared overnight, it seems, on a client’s Asana implementation.

Is there a timeline for updated documentation?

Thanks,
Steve

As a comment on this feature, I find it misleading. Just because a task is dependent on another, doesn’t mean it’s “blocked”. Our team just had to rethink dependencies. We often work in parallel understanding others are waiting on on us to release their tasks but they’re not “blocked” from beginning work. We’ve used dependencies to influence releases, not as a strict “waterfall” dependency. We will just need to change our workflow and figure out another way to illustrate one task is dependent on another but not necessarily blocking it.

2 Likes

Hi @anon66457290 and welcome to the forum!

I wholeheartedly agree with you! I really dislike the new terminology of “blocked” and “blocking” also; I agree it doesn’t most accurately communicate what it’s designed to represent.

1 Like

I’m unable to identify dependencies now from the task view, only in the timeline view.
I presume this is related to the change that induces the “Blocked by” terminology.

• Blocked is not a good term. It’s negative and indicates a problem when what I’m intending is a … Dependency. Especially when planning for future events.
  • Blocked is valid term to use in a different context.
  • Identifying a dependency using the 3Dots at the top-right of the task view is broken, without any indication or notification of the change.
  • If we’re being included in an A/B test, that’s fine, but there should be an indicator with a link to information about what is happening. Otherwise it just looks like something is wrong.
1 Like

Looks like you can also identify dependencies if you select more than one task/milestone and use the black interface that pops up.

But, you need to select more than one item and can’t just identify a dependency on one item.

Overall, the “dependency” feature is awesome and I use it constantly. It’s great to work with it in the Timeline view connecting tasks together, or quickly right clicking and typing out its dependant task.
And I love how it’s now been enhanced to be displayed as another field in a task.

I too agree with everyone that the language “blocked by” / “blocking” does not sound appropriate.

I was also confused for a while searching for it when right-clicking or clicking on the ... to find it in it’s usual spot, and sad that it could have been taken away.
During this transition & A/B testing, can I recommend that the feature be available in both it’s “new” & “old” place in the UI? And if a user accesses it the old way, that a tooltip point them to its new location.

Hi jeremy. How to connect dependencies in the the timeline view. Mine seems to be not working.

The feature is cool, however, one drawback.

When there is a recurring dependent task, once that is checked, a new one gets generated. And keeps blocking the current blocked task.

For example, I have 2 tasks:
1- Draft lesson plans (recurring weekly)
2- approve lesson plans (recurring weekly, blocked by 1)

when the 1 is checked complete and is regenerated for next week, I can’t check 2 for the current week to generate for next week (I know I can mark it but it seems counter-intuitive).

1 Like

I there a way to edit, I want to use this field more like a Project list connected to user stories… nothing is being blocked.

I was hoping to reopen this issue (unless there is a better one elsewhere). When I complete a task that another task is dependent upon, both tasks still show “This task is blocking” or “This task is blocked by.” I know this was rolled out a few years ago, so I wanted to check back in to see if any changes will be made on this front. Thank you!