Default setting of adding public task in My Tasks

@Johanna_Rantanen Tasks are only private by default if they are created in the users My Task view and not associated with a public project or created in a private project.
If you describe your team’s workflow the community maybe able to assist.

Jason.

1 Like

Asana used to have the functionality to mark multiple selected tasks as Public in the My Tasks area. I understand all tasks created in My Tasks are Private by default. It takes me minutes every day to switch each one to Public so other people can see what I’m working on; being able to once again select multiple tasks and mark them as Public would be lovely. Thank you!

2 Likes

Agree wholeheartedly. Multiple task selection is already possible (add to Project, remove duplicates). This should be a relatively easy thing to add to the code, I would think.

1 Like

In my own account, I can see all my tasks properly organized, but when a teammate tries to see my tasks on their own account, all of them don’t show up.

1 Like

Hi Arturo! Asana allows users to create tasks from their My Tasks screen as private tasks by default. Note that when you create a task, it says at the top “This task is private to you.” You can make these tasks public by either adding them to a public project, or by clicking “Make Public”, which follows “This task is private to you.”

Hope that helps!

1 Like

Thanks for reaching out @Israel_Gonzalez;

I’ve gone ahead and merged these threads as much as possible to consolidate the Community feedback on this topic. As far as I’m aware, we haven’t planned to make this change just yet but I’ll make sure to loop you in as soon as I have some more information.

1 Like

Any news for that? Why not give your Customers the chance to decide and configure the setting for our needs?

2 Likes

I want to give my feedback here from the other side.

Whatever you do, absolutely do not make tasks added to My Tasks public by default.

When I first moved my team to Asana over a year ago, I actually wrote a comment here requesting that My Tasks were public, since I thought it wasn’t optimal that I couldn’t browse such tasks on my team’s list.

But I soon learned that it’s much better to default to private, then let people make them public as appropriate.

I’m not sure if this is a bug or not, but today, the IOS hard press quick add New Task is defaulting to “Public to My Tasks in [company name]”. It had always been private. Wow, this is really bad design. It might just be a bug though (I hope), because those tasks do not sync properly with the desktop app, they still appear to be private, and after I create the first such task, additional tasks created the same way are correctly set to private.

I jot down tasks on my phone all day as they come to me, then I process them later and assign to the right projects/people with the right permissions. Default public on all tasks is ridiculous. E.g., a manager might want to make a quick HR note about a worker to follow up on later, and that is not meant to be shared with everybody in the company.

1 Like

Hi @Daniel11,

I can confirm that the issue you’re encountering with iOS is a bug; our team is working on it, so it should hopefully be fixed very soon! :crossed_fingers:t3:

1 Like

Hi @Daniel11, I’ve some great news :slight_smile: Our Team has included a fix for this bug in the next iOS release; hope this helps!

1 Like

Clearly there is a massive need for this setting. What is the update on this??

I don’t see why this shouldn’t at least be a setting.

4 Likes

I just Googled this and I can’t believe it’s been such an ongoing battle.

4 Likes

Can you please make it a setting in Asana web?
As you can see, there is a tremendous demand for such a setting.
Thanks.

3 Likes

I second this. It kind of blows my mind that there isn’t a setting for this. I need my tasks to be public to the org so that everyone has visibility into what I’m working on. If I wanted private tasks, I’d set them private one off or use another platform for my personal to-dos but Asana is mainly used for project management within the greater org. Seems like a lot of requests for this feature. How about it?

4 Likes

We need that feature, too, please!

3 Likes

Yup! We definitely need this feature!!!

4 Likes

Yeah guys from Asana,
you’re doing a great job, but see us here. People are waiting for this feature!

5 Likes

upvoting. really want to be able to default all ‘my tasks’ public. OR select ALL of them and batch edit to PUBLIC. please please please

3 Likes

Upvoting. The common case is for a team to see what everyone else is working on. The corner case is the manager who needs to keep some info private.

2 Likes

A per-person default setting would be perfect for our company. Voting now :slight_smile:

2 Likes