Default assignee

Same for me!

2 Likes

Thanks. This solved my problem.

1 Like

Itā€™s been a while since this feature was first asked (2 years and an half!)
Is there any date on when this feature could be added to Asana?

Is there is something that prevent it?

6 Likes

Hi all, I came here to see if there was a way to change the default assignee. I still donā€™t think theyā€™ve implemented that feature, but I did find a FAST and EASY workaround! You can select all tasks in a project and assign them to the same user in one click.

from asana guide:
Bulk edit with multi-select

Most likely youā€™ve used multi-select in other programs, and itā€™s just as useful in Asana. To multi-select several tasks, just click then hold down Shift and click the up or down arrow .

You can also click the first task and drag the cursor to the last task. Or you can click on the first task, hold down Shift , then click again on the last task. If the tasks arenā€™t next to one another, hold down Shift , then click each individual task you want to select.

Once you multi-select tasks, you can take mass actions on them:

• Bulk assign them to the same person
  • Give them all the same due date
  • Drag and drop them elsewhere
  • Tag all tasks
  • Associate another project to all tasks
  • Mark all tasks incomplete/complete
  • Delete or merge all tasks
  • Add a collaborator to all, or follow/unfollow all of them yourself.
2 Likes

@Emily_Roman - I think @Edward_B wrote the best outline of why this is important and a very comprehensive and simple approach to how users could use the feature (the 3 options ā€“ [blank], [default assigned person], or [default to the task creator].

As @Edward_B said - accountability is not a cool extra for a project management toolā€¦ itā€™s essential. Whatā€™s keeping the team from considering this feature? More than 200 votes, 327 likes, and nearly 13K views on this topic. Obviously, itā€™s a pretty common need. Iā€™d love to hear whether this is actively being considered or if thereā€™s a compelling reason why this isnā€™t possible.

And, if you want to review my passionate plea, just to be the squeaky wheel, hereā€™s a repeated link to my own earlier comment: Default assignee - #106 by Bryan_TeamKickstart

2 Likes

Hi all,

Following Now rolling out to Asana users ā€” Rules, Business customers can now create Rules so all tasks in a project are assigned to the same person by default.(Trigger: Task added to this project / Action: Assign task) With that said, since this Rules arenā€™t available to everyone Iā€™ll keep this thread open, and will continue sharing updates on this topic.

@Bryan_TeamKickstart, we are aware this feature request is popular, and while we heavily rely on feedback received in the Forum to inform our Product Roadmap, we have to take onboard other criteria like staffing resources (among other things), so we canā€™t always prioritize features request as quickly as users would like to! Iā€™ll continue highlighting this feedback in my reports and while I canā€™t promise when this will come to life, I can promise to keep you posted here in the Forum when things start moving on this topic! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@Marie - Thank you so much for your helpful response. Itā€™s helpful to hear that itā€™s a resource limitation rather than a deliberate choice to decline this feature request.

Itā€™s great to hear that thereā€™s a step in the right direction. Thanks again for your incredible dedication to timely responses.

1 Like

And donā€™t forget, Premium users can still have an identical auto-assignment rule using Flowsana. :grin:

3 Likes

I second this request.

3 years later and this feature still has not been implemented? I was just looking for this feature and came across this thread. How many people have switched to Monday.com?

Just chiming in to add support for this feature.

Another vote to add this feature for all users.

Wow ā€¦ i canā€™t believe this isnā€™t a thing yet.

2 Likes

I voted for this many years ago. Itā€™s a complete farce that this has not been added.

Vote here! I NEED this option. Tired of having unassigned tasks that get lost. I am the only person using my account so all tasks should just automatically assign to me!!!

1 Like

unbelievable that Asana still hasnā€™t properly addressed this after 3 YEARS!!! this is the no.2 problem in the whole asana community by votesā€¦ why are you creating frustrated users Asana team? please fix this asap thank you.

As everyone else here, I need to have the tasks of all my projects assigned automatically to meā€¦ the only user in the account for the moment. Any tip on how to do so while Assana works for having this ā€œas defaultā€ user option?

Hi, Peter! :blush: For me, it actually causes problems if the tasks I created will be automatically assigned to me because as you have mentioned, not all tasks I create are things I need to do. It will clutter on my Inbox and Iā€™ll have to spend more time reassigning them or removing them. For projects and workspaces with lots of ongoing things to do, additional time in managing assignees will add to their work. But in case your suggestion will happen one day, I wonā€™t mind adjusting to it. Those are just my two cents. :slightly_smiling_face:

Another vote for the default assignee OPTION. If youā€™d use it, enable it. if not, then ignore it.

1 Like

+1! Add the option to assign all new tasks to myself.