Custom Task Templates

+1! for template tasks

New to Asana and this is the only thing that is missing… Would love to see this added soon.

+1 for template tasks!!!

+1 for task templates (including sub-tasks) - would save so much time

Having a custom Task Templates would be really helpful. We are using it for almost every project and almost each task, which would be super easier for the team members, just to clone the template and fill the details

4 Likes

We absolutely need the Custom Asana Task Template functionality asap. Any news on releasing such a feature?

+1 for Task templates. This is greatly needed feature

+1 for Task templates. Come on Dev team, several users dating back a year and a half have expressed that we need this feature ASAP! please help - considering switching platforms if not.

+1 for task templates!
seems like a basic need for project management software?!?!?!

let’s get cracking on this asana!

I have created a task template (including several sub-tasks) for managing company and team goals. Each goal is a task within a master goals project. I would like to make my custom goals-task template the default task type for this project, so that when a user hits “Enter” to add another task, they will be adding the goals-task template, not the vanilla Asana task. All tasks in a goals project have to use this template. It is painful and confusing for everyone to have to copy and paste the goal-task template every time they add a goal, and a common mistake is for them to hit enter and start using the default Asana Task template. My question is if I can set my goal-task template as the default task for a goals project, so that it is automatically entered whenever a user creates a new task.

3 Likes

Hey @pomalley :wave:

I understand what you mean here, thank you for taking the time to provide us with a great example of this process and how this could make your life easier!

I found an existing thread that I think perfectly reflects what you are looking to achieve and merged yours into it. Please feel free to add your vote on it if you would like!

+1 for Task templates. This is a greatly needed tool, and not being able to use it is limiting my productivity.

Asana has done a marvelous job in implementing feedback, so I was pretty confident when I searched for this feature 9 months ago that Asana would have implemented this by now, especially given the fact that others have been asking for it since 2017.

As a business owner, this is something I would look elsewhere to acquire. Please add this feature in ASAP!

Yes please! Another +1 for this. Our team would use it all the time, and it would make us a lot more efficient.

Cmon yall this was implemented internally at FB over a 2 day hackathon

+1 on this – seems like a huge oversight in an otherwise obsessively designed product. Is there a reason users aren’t aware of that this can’t happen? My company would like to use it to generate a supervision calendar, with auto-repeating blank agendas set for each type of employee, and at the moment the only way to do this is to manually duplicate projects, so that by the end of a month we’d have 40 projects in the archive (and no way to look at them all in a calendar or auto-populate them for the next month, as far as I understand it).

Help is on the way. I will be posting a new utility within a couple days that will allow all of the following:

1. Create new project from existing project with multiple options within same organization
    2… Add tasks from an existing project with multiple options to an existing project within an organization
    3… It has tremendous flexibility but of course will not be rocket fast because using the API
    4… You will be able to create as many project, tasks as you want as it will be a CSV file with multipl lines allowing multiple processing.
  2. It is a hosted utility

Here is its flexibility
||Target Team|||SA| Sendana Add|
|Source Project Name|||SA| Sendana Add Demo Project|
|Recipient Project Name|||ACTY| Accounts Payable|
|Copy to New Project|||0=Add Tasks 1=Create new project|
|Task Description|||Y|
|Assignee|||Y|
|Subtasks|||Y|
|Attachments|||Y|
|Tags|||Y|
|Task Collaborators|||Y|
|Project Members|||Y|
|Other Projects|||Y|
|Due Date|||Y|
|Start Date|||Y|
|Dependencies|||Y|
|Custom Fields|||Y|
|Custom Field Content|||Y|

Am I missing something, or does this list not include Task Templates?

1 Like

In reality a template is nothing more than a saved project with a list of tasks. Please check item #3and #4in my post. I am not an Asana employee, just trying to help the community. I do not believe that #3and #4 currently exist between organizations and without copying tasks, multi-homing them and then deleting one of the projects. You can create a library of Project Templates either for full project duplication or use the tasks only within a project to add to other existing projects. I realize it will not be as clean as an Asana built Task template but it can provide similar functionality.

Gotcha, thanks for the reply and for contributing! I got a little ahead of myself since the OP is about saving/reusing templates for tasks in the same way you can save/reuse templates for projects.

Sendana Add has now been released for public beta. It can allow the equivalent of task templates. Here is the post Sendana Tools-Sendana Add- A Novel Way to Add and/or Transfer Projects and Tasks In Mass - #11 by paulminors