Custom Fields: URL as Text & @mention

The Description box allows us to @mention a task or person
and also add a URL which is displayed as text.
Adding this functionality to custom fields would be great.
We can add a URL to a custom field but it only displays the URL, the ability to view the URL as text would be much more human relevant.
This as already been requested here But the discussion has been closed

In addition to making it easier to read and use.
adding in @mentions would also allow users to link tasks with-out creating dependencies as requested in this post
@mentions in custom fields, would also mean those using a contact book project to manage “contractors” or other people relevant to a project. is an easy way.

As mentioned, these features are already available in the description element of a task, so adding them to a “text” custom field would seem an easy step.

5 Likes

Hey @anon72164628 using the people custom field would help here no?

In the text field yes correct the URL is displayed based on what you enter but it is still in text form. You can click “Visit link” to open the site
Screenshot_936
Also in the CSV export it shows as text unless formatted otherwise

Unless I am misunderstanding something about your request?

1 Like

@Andrea_Mayer, thanks for reaching out. The people custom field was my first go to… but unfortunately requires that said people be entered into Asana. so not always useful for contractors and other ‘People’ that are being dealt with that don’t have/use asana.

Also Asana did a great job with allowing @mentions of tasks. so including that in custom fields would be great. Allow mentioning/linking tasks, would add ease of use / greater functionality. (i.e. Yes you can do it in the description, having it as a custom field would allow users to see that there was a link and easily jump to said task )

As for the URL: yes you can click the link, which is great. but a massive url string, that you can only see a part of is not human centric. Especially if that link is predominantly a data string ( a link to a google sheet cell for example)
So having the ability to change the url to text. as in other fields (description, notes etc) would be super helpful.

5 Likes

Hey @anon72164628, I see, makes sense.

Don’t forget to upvote this feedback request yourself :wink:

Hi,

Can you add a URL type custom field?

Can you support clicking on the URL custom field if the custom field is enabled for display in any of the views?

Thanks.

2 Likes

@Jonathan-Q,

I’ve moved your post to an already-existing thread where you can add your vote at the top of the thread.

Also, in case you weren’t aware, text type custom fields offer a Visit link clickable icon which can be useful, to some extent at least, until/if this becomes available. See more info at:

Thanks,

Larry

1 Like

Similar to the Hyperlink option that we can do in the task description, can we integrate that hyperlink option into the Text Custom Field? Thank you

2 Likes

Welcome, @Hung_Nguyen3,

I’ve merged your post into an existing thread where you can click the title to scroll to the top and vote by clicking the purple Vote button.

Thanks,

Larry

Hi Larry ,
I think we still misunderstood this request. The request is to be able to Mask the URL as a Hyperlink. I understand we can input the link into the ASANA custom link and can click “open link” to follow the URL; However can we mask that URL as a Hyperlink like how we do it in the Task Description in the Custom Text Field.
Thank you for your fast respond.

2 Likes

I want to be able to do this in the Custom Text Field.
Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Hung_Nguyen3, This thread is a request for that feature, so the best thing you can do is click Custom Fields: URL as Text & @mention to go to the top where you’ll see a purple Vote button and click that to add your vote (like I did!).

Thanks,

Larry

1 Like

Thank you :slight_smile: Just did

1 Like

I agree with this.
I look forward to your response. Thank you in advance.

I agree it’d be really helpful to have URL be an option for custom field. Having the long https:// URL is not user-friendly. And it’s not super intuitive to go to right hand corner to click to link out. Would like it to just be a hyperlink with any text you want in there.

1 Like

I think this is similar product feedback, so I’ll include a link.