Custom Fields in My Tasks

Because every view of our data and every field is treated as a special case, and basic capabilities (sort, filter, search, save and share multiple views) are doled out with great parsimony on a field-by-field and view-by-view basis. I do see some evidence that the data architects at Asana have gotten the message that their data models and constructs need to be modernized and made generalizable, but they are finding it to be a daunting task.

BTW, data that you store in custom fields is not searchable within Asana at the moment. You would have to go to a view of a single project that uses the custom field of interest (though custom fields are global to a workspace) and use your browser search tool to find data within a custom field. If youā€™re not sure which project that data resides in, youā€™d have to open likely candidates one by one.

2 Likes

Can you build this already? This is something sooooo basic and youā€™re worried about a cluttered UX? This can be avoided. Itā€™s up to the user to choose which columns should show up and if a task doesnā€™t use that column, just put a ā€œ-ā€ or ā€œN/Aā€ there. Itā€™s not rocket science. Itā€™s been 2 years that this has been requested, and probably actually longer than that.

7 Likes

How is this not a feature yet? Can an admin please give us an update ā€” will this be happening, and if so, when?

3 Likes

Bridge24 for Asana has a grid view that allows you to display any custom field you want, sort on it, and group on it. Simply click My Tasks on the left panel in Bridge24, then use the grid header to add the custom fields you want to display.

1 Like

I would love to be able to add my own custom fields to My Tasks

1 Like

It would be helpful to have custom fields in My tasks

1 Like

My team have been asking for this too as I have created a progress field which would be helpful for them to see when they look at their task list.

1 Like

Hi there,
I work at a digital marketing agency and we absolutely love Asana. I donā€™t know how I would get my work done without it. However, one feature that would really help my day to day task management is if I could sort the My Tasks view by Custom Fields like Status, Priority, etc. Right now, the only options are ā€œNoneā€ ā€œProjectā€ ā€œDue Dateā€ ā€œLikesā€.

I would love to be able to sort my tasks by Priority, so I can see all High Priority tasks across projects, or sort by Status so I can see everything that needs to be QAā€™d across projects.

4 Likes

Hi @Stacey_Heubeck and welcome to the Forum!

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience and this feedback with us! Being able to sort My Tasks by Custom Fields is a very popular request in the Forum! While I donā€™t have any update on this topic at the moment, Iā€™ve merged your post with the existing thread we have on this topic. Iā€™ll make sure to update this thread as soon as I have more info on my end!

2 Likes

Upvote on this! Company wide custom fields and portfolio integration of custom fields are so useful at a macro level for management ā€“ but working individually we need to be able to see those custom fields at the ā€œmy taskā€ level

This. This is what our digital marketing agency needs. Upvote!

Upvoting this! We use custom fields heavily for priority & status info, and not being able to see them in My Tasks makes the view near-useless.

3 Likes

I love the option of having Custom Fields for projects; we primarily use ā€œTask Progressā€ and ā€œPriorityā€ as a way to provide more information. However, these canā€™t currently be viewed from the ā€œMy Taskā€ screen. For designers who may have multiple things assigned to them, it would be helpful for them to get a quick snapshot of where projects are in the approval process, and what is the highest priority without having to click into each individual task.

3 Likes

Hey @Blair_Gregg. Welcome to the Asana Community!

This isnā€™t possible at the moment, but thereā€™s an existing feedback thread which already has a lot of votes, if you want to add yours:

@Natalia, just flagging this as another one you might want to merge. :slight_smile:

Thank you @Mark_Hudson :smiley:

Merging this thread with the main one @Blair_Gregg. I hope itā€™s OK.
Feel free to add your vote to it!

Have a great day!

Thank you!!

1 Like

This is definitely a must have feature. My team is testing Asana and considering moving away from JIRA. But the lack of this feature is making it hard to justify the move. JIRA is customizable to a fault.

1 Like

I need to see my tasks sorted by Priority!

how is this not a thing in a productivity app?

6 Likes

Yeahā€¦ we really need this feature.

3 Likes

Much needed! We end up double handling, and creating Projects for each individual, so we can see the Tasks for those people sorted by Custom Fields. What we need is to be able to quickly View these custom fields (which are pulled from our project reviews). So if the Project says ā€œDOINGā€ as GTD category, and is allocated to XX Person, we can see if they have it in their TODAY tasks, and much moreā€¦

So hereā€™s how we use GTD at a project level. In each client project we might allocate tasks DOING / NEXT / WAITING / WITH CLIENT using custom fields, and we allocate the task to the person. So a task goes to Ms Blue and set to DOING. But when Ms Blue looks at her My Task she canā€™t easily see how these tasks are categorised at the Project level.

1 Like