Custom Fields in My Tasks

Maybe @Bastien_Siebman. I’m still waiting for that brainpower to get thrown at allowing subtasks on the timeline though…

It may not be an issue. I would love it if they could implement the feature and it not result in the custom field being added to every other task.

However, the behavior you described is consistent with how things currently are regarding custom fields I believe. currently if you have a task that’s multihomed and one project (Project A) has a custom field that the other project (Project B) does not, you’re unable to add the custom field that exists in Project A for the task to another task in Project B from the task pane. You could add it to the project as a whole—which would then add it to every other task.

I think this is because there’s a fundamental difference for how custom field inheritance works at the project level. When it’s in the table view, the whole project inherits it whereas when it’s only within the task, it does not.

This is why I think they’re unable to do it currently in the My Tasks view—because it’s being treated more like a project now and adding a custom field to it in the table view, could inadvertently add it to several other tasks that you may not have intended to add it to.

Again, I do hope they are able to come up with a solution here. I would love to have some custom fields in the My Tasks pane as well. I’ve resorted to using Saved Reports to accomplish for me for the time being.

Are there any updates on this? My team and I could definitely use custom fields in My Tasks to manage our work - all of the workarounds are clunky and time consuming. Thank you!

I would also like to add a custom field so I can import my teams prioritization custom field. Looks like this has been an ask since 2017 with no progress which isn’t promising.

@Alexis, @Bastien_Siebman,
After 3 years and hundreds customers expressing their need for copying this already existing feature - I am really in the dark here and looking for a clear motivation why such an easy to establish chunk of customer-satisfaction is being ignored for so long? I honestly don’t understand!?

@Martijn_Philips I don’t work for Asana, I can only reply with my usual answer: nothing is as easy as it seems in product dev and Asana prioritizes features based on several things, including the community feedback but also their Voice of Customers, their vision etc.

They do add a lot of features, especially this year, and some longtime issues are being fixed (or will be soon but I can’t talk about it).

3 Likes

Like Bastien, I also don’t work for Asana. But in answer to your question, please also keep in mind that Asana is just finishing a large migration from the original My Tasks to a new version that brings it more in line technologically with regular projects; one of the main reasons they did that is so My Tasks would then be able to support more regular-project features. So it wasn’t really technologically possible for them add things like custom fields to My Tasks before, whereas it is now.

2 Likes

Hi. Our team is new to Asana and we definitely want this feature. The My Tasks view is very convenient and being able to choose from a set within a custom field would save from having to click through to a project and then choose.

1 Like

I’m here to echo once again the desire to allow the existing Priority field to appear in My Tasks.

2 Likes

I imagine this (custom fields) will be coming soon. However then we will definitely need…

and

or

Here’s hoping…

5 Likes

So I decided to get paid account, and still to find out that custom field feature is only working in projects and not in mytask.

2 Likes

So true! I rarely, if ever, go to the project page. I mean how many of us only work on one project at a time? Every week when I manually click into each one of my tasks (usually upwards of 30-50 a week) and arrange them into the priority I need I’m wishing for those custom fields!

2 Likes

Good to know. :neutral_face:

Yes please implement this feature Asana, we really need custom fields in my tasks.

2 Likes

I’d love to be able to add fields like “Priority” in our My Tasks list. This would help everyone see what needs to be done first in addition to just seeing due dates.

4 Likes

Agreed; there is a huge thread at Custom Fields in My Tasks

+100! That would be my first use case for custom fields in My Tasks.

Side note: You can already add “tags” to any task, so as a workaround, you could tag tasks with tags like “low”, “medium”, and “high” or “urgent”. It’s not quite as structured as a custom field, but those tags do display in My Tasks’ list view. In board view, a small tag icon appears in the corresponding color, so you can see that a tag is present (but not the text of the tag).

• 1 to this, for now I can use the tag feature, but that adds the field so that everyone can see it. I would prefer to have my own custom field where I can make my own priority system.
1 Like

I’m trying to set up Asana to use GTD. Not being able to sort “My Tasks” by custom fields (and ability to sort by one criteria and then another, like you can in Excel) is making Asana almost unusable. I’ve had to create work arounds that are very clunky. There is dead screen real estate on the right side of the screen that could be used with the option to display custom fields.

I want to be able to use the My Tasks page to quickly slice and dice my tasks across projects. I don’t want to have to click inside each of the myriad of projects I have open to sort by custom fields. It’s not a realistic way to work.

I don’t understand why I can add custom field columns to the project section of the website (within specific teams) but I can’t do the same in the My Tasks section. One would think that this should be a relatively straightforward change.

I am trying the paid version of Asana, but even that doesn’t have this basic functionality. I have spent a lot of time setting up this system and would hate to have to look into Basecamp, FacileTool, Omnifocus and competitors who have this feature, but Asana isn’t acting on this much-needed feature, even though it has nearly 800 votes and has been open since 2017. Please add this feature asap.

2 Likes

My Tasks was revamped only recently and we can only hope to have a custom field there is the next step :slight_smile:

3 Likes