Creating Tasks and Subtasks in Instagantt only partialy reflected in Asana

Hi,

for a big project, we created the sections, tasks, and subtasks first in Instagantt. It synced to Asana but only the tasks name attribute in Asana. All the other attributes e.g. type, assignee, due date left blank. see what I mean below with a few screenshots:

Instagantt:

Asana:
Task Level:

Subtasks Level:

My observation:

• subtasks start and end dates sync between Instagantt and Asana
  • subtasks assignee sync between Instagantt and Asana
  • unless defined otherwise (??), Asana will order the subtasks according to the due date (descending)

Questions :slight_smile:

• Is there a way to migrate/automate the assignee, due dates, and type (e.g. milestone) to Asana or this is a manual update to be done in Asana?
  • Is there a best practice on how to work with Asana and Instagantt? I was not able to find it in the community’s previous posts.

Thanks!
Oren

@danielguajardok the Instagantt founder might want to jump in and help!
Also @Julien_RENAUD has played with it a lot these past weeks maybe he can help as well.

2 Likes

Hi @anon77888931, and thanks @Bastien_Siebman for putting me in the loop!

The issue you’re experiencing is not really an issue, but the thing is that Instagantt considers parent tasks as “containers”. Assignees will sync to parent tasks, but start and due dates won’t, as in Instagantt those dates are dynamic. This means that the start and due date of a parent tasks in Instagantt is calculated from the earliest and latest subtasks (and unfortunately that behavior is not supported in Asana).

I hope this helps clarify the behavior you’re experiencing :slight_smile:

Hi @danielguajardok and @Bastien_Siebman for your answer and support :slight_smile: I will continue exploring both Asana and Instagatt to find a balance between the two.

What is the best way to reach out to you, @Julien_RENAUD, to share knowledge?

Hi @anon77888931

Assignee : if you define an assignee for the parent task then it will migrate.

Due dates : Daniel has answered just above.
You can manually define dates in Asana, but if a subtasks is delayed, then it won’t change the parent due dates, you’ll have to change it manually. In Instagannt, the container will indicate that a subtask is ending after the parent task.

Type : I’ve juste checked and if I convert a task to a milestones in Instagantt, then it’s also converted in Asana. Have you experienced another behavior?

Julien

1 Like