Create repetitive actions

I am new to Asana as of this afternoon. What is the best way for me to create a series of tasks that can be used when I add individual customers. Eg) I add Joe Smith and I want to apply 20 tasks that I can track. Then I add Emily Jones and want to track the exact same 20 tasks, and so on with new customers that I add on a daily basis.
Where do I start?? I have looked at the Academy and because this is so new to me, I can’t quite make sense out of how to do what I have described here.

Hi Mike. If you are going to be adding in each customer as a new “project”, the easiest option is for you to create a custom template which has all your 20 tasks defined. Then every time you enter in a new customer, you will “Use a Template” and select this custom template. To start-off, create a project listing all the tasks and then “convert it to a template”. You can can find out more details and examples here: How to create and use Asana templates | Product guide • Asana Product Guide

2 Likes

Thank you, @Bernie_Orelup. I will give that a try. I appreciate your guidance.

So this is what I created so far. Can you help me to add a project (customer) that would be the parent file to the system I created? Each customer should follow the same work flow. I created one customer as a project, I just don’t know how to connect the two.

I am reading as much as I can in the help section, but this is out of my league right now. I will contact customer service to see if they can guide me through some of this.

Thanks!

@Bernie_Orelup.

@Mike_Byers,

Click the orange + button in the top bar to add a new project. Find and select the name of your template (the one shown in your screenshot). When prompted, enter a desired name for the new project. Asana will then create a new project based on that template.

Hi @Mike_Byers. You’ve done a great job in creating a template for a standard work flow you want to follow for each customer. This custom template can now be used for each new customer as Phil pointed out. When you create the new project (using the template), just rename it with the Customer’s name &/or reference number to help you identify it.

Thanks to both @Bernie_Orelup and @Phil_Seeman for your help.

1 Like

@Bernie_Orelup and @Phil_Seeman Thank you again!
I have registered for an online training session this week.

1 Like

Hi. From my point of view (I may be wrong) I would raise the workflow in another way. Instead of creating a project for each client with 20 tasks, I would personally create a complete workflow of 20 steps on a single board and that each card represents a client. Something like this (I have recorded a small video with what I try to show you)

In my opinion, and in my humble opinion, the main objective of a Kanban board is to show the state of work and that it flows through the board. The board would represent different stages of the work, and would be valid for multiple clients, so it would not be necessary to create one project per client.

!!! IMPORTANT !!!

contribute my opinion in good faith and with total ignorance of the work done by @Mike_Byers. I just try to contribute ideas that can help.

Another approach could also be a Kanban board with a smaller workflow, of the type

Pending
Doing
Done

and each task includes 20 subtasks, some like this

I think that for what @Mike_Byers asked for, the most suitable thing is the 20-step workflow because that way you don’t have to worry about creating 20 tasks per client with or without a template, but you simply have to create 1 client at a time and move it by the medium flow that is moving towards the final goal … “Done”

I think that in this way (20-step workflow) you can better control what situation each client is in.

Personally I don’t know the volume of clients you have, but I think that having to create a project for each client … can be cumbersome. Many projects in my opinion and although your workflow has only 3 stages, you would have to multiply those stages to control for each active project.

Sorry if I don’t explain very well, I support myself with google translator.

What do you think?

1 Like

Thank you, @JMartinez. I will try this option also and see which one works best.

1 Like

I like this idea, @JMartinez. Thank you. Here it is.

I’m glad @Mike_Byers , as I said, I think it is better to define a workflow in stages and that the cards move through the flow as they change status. I’m glad I helped.

Greetings from Barcelona!