Copying a link into Asana only copies the URL

With adding markdown one very comfortable feature was broken. Before you could copy a hyperlink from any webpage using right mouse button menu and paste it into your comment or task description, and Asana would paste both link text and link address. Now it pastes only link address, and instead of one copy-paste we have to copy-paste link name and then copy-paste link address over it. So for me this update actually made the editor less convenient that it was before (we had keyboard shortcuts for text formatting, so this markdown update didn’t make any significant change).

Hi @Ilyas_G and thanks for the report! I can’t seem to reproduce this issue, so I’ve gone ahead and spilt your post from the main announcement to help you troubleshoot this issue.

1. Just to recap, are these the steps you’re taking?

• Select a hyperlink from a webpage
    • Right-click on this hyperlink and select “Copy”
    • Open Asana
    • Right-click to paste the hyperlink in task description or comment
  2. Can you confirm what browser you’re using?

3. Would you be able to record a quick screencast to help us investigate? If you’re not sure what tool to use to record your screencast, we recommend Loom. In your video screencast, we recommend that you use a Chrome Incognito window and have your Javascript console open:

Thanks for your help @Ilyas_G, we look forward to your reply!

Hi @Marie!

1. Yes, the steps are correct.

2. I’m using the latest Safari (User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_15_7) AppleWebKit/605.1.15 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/14.0 Safari/605.1.15)

3. Since I’m using Safari I recorded video using this browser, not Google Chrome, though in Chrome the result is the same. As you can see when I paste the copied link I get the URL pasted instead of word “Loom” linked to the URL (that was the behaviour before the update).

Thank you so much for the follow-up @Ilyas_G, really appreciate it. I have filed a task for our team to investigate and moved this post to our #bugs:current-bugs category. I’ll be in touch as soon as I have an update on my end!

1 Like

Hi folks and apologies for the delay in getting back to you!

Our team has taken a closer look into this. On Safari, right-clicking a link only provides the option to “Copy Link” (which only copies the URL), while other browsers have a “Copy” option which automatically copies the text and URL.

Our team will look into fixing this issue in the future, but in the meantime, we recommend Safari users to use the copy keyboard shortcut (cmd/ctrl + C) which works normally, instead of the “Right Click > Copy on a link” option.

On my end, I’ll keep you posted here as soon as I have an update! Thanks again for reporting this issue and for your cooperation, we really appreciate it!

Hi Marie,

Thank you very much for looking into the issue and passing the feedback to the team!

I just want to share some additional information as it may be helpful for your team.
The thing is that “Copy Link” in Safary actually copies both text and URL, which can be checked by pasting it to different tools. In the GIF I attach I copy the link and paste it to Asana task and then to Google Docs, and as you can see they handle it differently (and before the markdown update Asana handled copied links the same way as Google Docs do).

Hope this helps!

safari_copy_link

Best regards,
Ilyas

1 Like

Appreciate it @Ilyas_G, there is definitely something wrong with hos Asana handles this “copy” feature in Safari! I’ll keep you posted as soon as I have an update!

1 Like