Pasting a Hyperlink Pastes Only the Text

Briefly describe (1-2 sentences) the Bug you’re experiencing:
Copying a hyperlink (text that is a link to a URL) and then pasting into Asana pastes only the text with no link.

Steps to reproduce:
In an Office app, right click a link and choose “Copy Hyperlink.”
In Asana, ctrl-V to paste.

Browser version:
Same behavior in Chrome 75.0.3770.142 and Edge 44.18362.1.0

Notes:
I can understand Asana not allowing hyperlinks and allowing only naked URLs for clarity, so I would expect pasting a hyperlink to past the URL.

Hi @Adam-Involute :wave:t3:

Thanks for the report and sorry for the trouble here! In order to help us investigate could you answer the few questions below?

1. Which Office app are you experiencing the issue with?
  2. Are you observing the same behaviour when copying a URL from somewhere else? (For example the URL of this thread we’re speaking on)
  3. if possible, can you let us know if this is also happening when you’re logged into your Asana account from an incognito window?

Many thanks for your help Adam, I look forward to your reply!

Hi @Marie!

1. This happens from both Outlook and Word. I just tested Powerpoint, but that copy/pastes as expected.

2. No. Copying a link from the web pastes the link’s URL in Asana. (Copying a URL such as a webpage address pastes the URL.)

3. Same behavior if logged in from an incognito window.

Happy to help!

Hi @Adam-Involute :wave: Natalia here stepping in for @Marie

Thank you so much for the report! I’ve gone ahead and filed a bug for our team to investigate this. @Marie and myself are closely following it internally so we’ll keep you posted as soon as we have an update on our end!

Have a great Thursday!

1 Like

im also having an issue with this. i thought that pasting links was possible? My issue is with pasting hyperlinks from microsoft outlook or word into the description or comments for an asana task. only the text gets pasted, not the hyperlink.

Hi @Clayton_Chipper and thank you very much for taking time to report this. Apologies for the late reply.

I’ve gone ahead and add this report to the bug filed on this topic. I’ll reach out as soon as I have an update about it!

Have a great week!

Hi @Adam-Involute and @Clayton_Chipper :wave:

We just got an update from our Team and I can confirm this is not a bug but actually a product limitation. We currently don’t support hyperlinks but this is definitely something we’ll ve working on in the future.

Thank you very much for reporting this issue and for all your patience. I’m moving this thread to the #bugs:resolved-bugs category, but please, if there is anything I can help you with don’t hesitate to reach out in the Forum! Have a nice weekend!