Convert task to sub task and Vice Versa

It would be helpful to have the ability to move tasks in and out of being parent and sub tasks.

Would love to see this in place.

Actually you can by drag an droping inside and outside the task. Did you know?

4 Likes

Hey @lilrkt! There isn’t any feature/button to allow you to convert a task into a subtask (and vice versa), but as @Bastien_Siebman mentioned, you can already convert a subtask into a task by dragging it from your task pane (on the right), to the task list (on the left). And the other way around you can also drag a task from the task list to a list of subtasks. Hope that helps! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

How does it work if you’re working on a board instead of a list?

2 Likes

@Rita_Cachao It’s not currently possible to do in a Board view project. You can vote for that feature here; also here is one possible workaround.

1 Like

Hi all,

I created a Google Chrome extension and implemented the button to convert the task to a subtask of another task.
They don’t need to be in the same project or in the same view. You can reference any task in Asana Workspace/Organization as the new parent task.
(Which means you may need to remove the project from the subtask manually.)

If you are using Google Chrome, you can install the extension from the Chrome Web Store.

More info on this Asana Community post: Efficiency Google Chrome extension to enhance navigation for Asana tasks.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Shun

1 Like

Hello,
It seems this feature has been officially implemented. I don’t know if it’s still in testing phase or in production, but at least we can use it and it’s great news!

As my unofficial Chrome extension Asana Navigator still offers similar functionality, I’d like to clarify the differences.

Only the official feature:

• displays candidate parent tasks before typing any text, such as adjacent tasks and tasks with similar names
  • removes project/assignment from the subtask

Only Asana Navigator:

• supports shortcut key (Tab + R) to invoke
  • allows users to choose the position of the subtask (top or bottom of other subtasks) – the official feature just inserts the subtask in a random position
  • supports undoing the conversion

Neither:

• supports converting the subtask back to a non-subtask – I think the primary reason is that when the task is orphaned and it doesn’t belong to any project/assignee, it will easily get lost and forgotten
1 Like

Hi @ShunS, I can confirm this new feature is now available to all our customers Meet our new Task option Menu - #38. Feel free to create a separate thread for your Asana Navigator Chrome extension, so you can keep posting updates here for people using it! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you @Marie,
I already have the thread :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello,

As “Tab + R” is now assigned to “Jump to task description” action in Asana, I changed the keyboard shortcut of Asana Navigator to “Tab + O” (Convert to subtask) from version 1.8.0.
I also found a feature that only Asana has so I’m updating the information as below in bold:

Update: After Tab+O to show/hide the sidebar, your new favorite shortcut!, I changed the shortcut to Tab + G (from version 1.8.4).

1 Like