Completing a subtask changes the status of the parent task

Is there a way to have the status of a parent task change when a specific sub-task is completed?

I use Asana to run our editorial calendar. When a writer completes the “Written” sub-task, I’d love for the post to automatically change from “Waiting on Written Post” to “Waiting for Approval.”

If there’s some way to create a rule for this, that would be awesome. Thanks for your help.

Hi @Garret_Stembridge and welcome to the Forum!

We’re just after rolling out a new Rule feature ( Now rolling out to Asana users — Rules), which in the future will probably work with subtasks, but in the meantime I’d recommend looking into Flowsana. And if you have any questions, feel free to reach out to @Phil_Seeman who is the founder of Flowasana!

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the response Marie! I look forward to exploring the Rules!

1 Like

Any progress on Rules “which in the future will probably work with subtasks”?
Rules are great tool, but it’s still imposible to update a parent task (custom field Status) with change in sub-task status.
Scenarios like that:
If any of sub-task “In Progress”, the parent task changes status to “In Progress”.
If any of sub-task “Blocked”, we can see parent task as blocked.
If all subtasks are “Done”, the parent ticket is “Done”.

6 Likes

Could not said it better. As Vic_Chuntun I am miss that relation between subtasks and parent task. It is pain to manually unfold a parent task to update manually its status based on the subtasks status.

1 Like

Hello. Any updates on this? It seems like a key product feature. Is the development team working on building it out? Please provide a status update.

2 Likes

Also trying to achieve this. It seems like workflows have gotten better, but is there any changes to the subtask level automation capability? Its really silly that you would still have to use a 3rd party automation tool for this.

4 Likes