Color Coded Tasks/Sections

My use case. We have a “production calendar.” Tasks that have people assigned that need to be live onsite and offbook are put on that calendar. That way we know who is busy on non-movable tasks. It’s a nice visual way to see what is getting done production wise in advance. Now that is fine, since when tasks are assigned to a specific project, the color carries through. But if we want to add one-offs in the calendar for people specific PTO or other non-project related items that shows people unavailable, we’ll make the task in the calendar itself and those tasks come in as clear even though the calendar color is blue. This makes these tasks disappear in the general list, especially when spanning the source of a week. This happens in light or dark mode. See example.

2 Likes

Can’t believe this hasn’t been done already

9 Likes

Color coding tasks would be really helpful. Using tags is a workaround, but color coding a whole task would be ideal. Is Asana working on this?

2 Likes

desperate for color coding to be applied to Tasks. Visually would be a massive improvement

5 Likes

Any ETA about this topic? I think is a basic feature to manage a Kanban Board.

1 Like

Hey Asana, love your product! PLEASE prioritize this feature, it would really push Asana over the top.

2 Likes

This is desperately needed for those of us that Calendar view and Board view are not viable for our use-case.

With a custom color option so we’re not stuck to the same 16 color options everything else is would be a great stretch goal :wink:

I am with AWS and I use Asana to manage my tasks for my customers and need color coding on LIST VIEW. I would like to have my high priority task categories in one color (irrespective of dates), as this is the view I use DAILY as my “TO DO” list for my customer accounts. I have certain high-priority categories like CX follow-up that I need to be highlighted in red and my lesser priority task categories (or Business vs. IT Categories) to be in different colors. I am visual person so color-coding is IMPERATIVE for me to visually target in minutes which I need to focus on first (vs scrolling through due dates or using timeline or calendar view).

I’m a huge fan of color coding and since i haven’t been able to find a way to do this natively in Asana I created “task” projects just to use for coding (ex - To Do, Priority, etc) and then add each task to those projects in addition to any others they live in. I use the Calendar view so I’m able to see each task as an additional project in the color assigned, and can prioritize tasks based off color.

Not ideal, but it works for now!

It is beyond helpful, I think this is necessary and please put it in the Asana as soon as you can.

2 Likes

Is this functionality available right now?

Thanks

Please get this function available, it would be helpful! We definitely need a way to color-code our sections. List and board view.

Is there still no way to color-code sections? Very surprised we’re now 4 years on from this much-needed feature being requested repeatedly with no changes. Asana team, would be very grateful for someone from the operations/customer service side to weigh in on this. Thank you in advance for any help!

Hi!

Coming from Trello most recently, one nice feature was to color code tasks to help them stand out or to indicate progress. Not started, started, stuck, finished. Or certain roles under multiple different sections, whatever.

This would help things not get lost in one monochrome layout.

Hi,

I am torn…

I find this so ugly:
unnamed

but if the color were chosen carefully it could be nice…

Ha ha, Hi Tom!

That is wild, ha ha. I only used that little colored line as the progress color coding. Coloring the whole card is a little out there for me, ha ha.

Not sure how this one is different than Colour options for task in Board view to better visualize organisation/priority - #10 by Angie_Lawrence

But more color options or organization and priority than just board color especially in calendar view would be so helpful

It would be nice if we could color code tasks within a project.

1 Like

Hi @Quynh_Toan,

I moved your post to an existing thread for this suggestion. You can upvote this request using the purple Vote button at the top of the thread!

1 Like

Hello, I am a very visual person in how I think and work. Having the latitude to use colors to enhance the tolls in Asana would help me use this software. Our department has taken Assana on and several of us are struggling without the ability to add color features to the Projects, tasks and subtasks. For the visual processor, it is tiring to have to reread to find what I am looking for.

Can someone from Asana reply? I’ve read over the whole thread and don’t see much response from Asana in a long time.