Can't Remove an Unwanted Project I'm Not Even a Member Of

A project shows in my Projects list that I want to get rid of. I’m not even a member of it, and have no idea why it shows. I think it’s always been there but now that I use Asana more, it’s bothering me.

The menu doesn’t show a “leave project” option. I’m also not on the members list - when I go there, I just see a “join” option. Finally, there’s no “archive” option when I right-click on the project name on the left.

How do I get this out of my Projects list on the left?

Thank you.

1 Like

Perhaps you’re a member of a Team that has access to the Project? Check what Team the project is in, and see whether you’re willing to leave the Team.

If that doesn’t work, ask one of the Project admins, or failing that, try Asana Support. Good luck!

@StefanP,

If this is a public project in a team you are a member of there is no way to hide this from your view.

Christine

1 Like

Hi @StefanP , I understood that you want to remove the project from your Projects list in the sidebar. If you change the sort settings from the ... next to Projects, to Recent or Top, it should eventually go away, as long as you stop visiting that project!

Otherwise, you can collapse the Projects section in the sidebar, drag it to the bottom and use the Starred section instead which you can include just the projects you frequently use and sort them as you like.

1 Like

I have the same problem as the original poster. I have removed myself from the project team but it is still appearing in my list of projects in the left-hand panel. There has to be some way to remove this, surely.

2 Likes

I’m having the same issue. I can get it to disappear from the main projects list by not visiting it, but I can’t remove it from the team that it’s associated with. Not sure why since I didn’t create it and I’m not a member of it.

Welcome, @Kate_Scott1,

That’s really another topic unrelated to this thread, so it would be better to create a new topic to ask about that. (But a short answer: a project must live in a team, so those with proper access to the team can move or delete it, if desired.)

Thanks,

Larry

1 Like

Same issue and the solution to resort projects isn’t really a solution. I don’t understand why I can’t have the option to not display this in my project list when not even a member of the project

1 Like

I strongly agree with TamO. Having the listed project “eventually go away” is not a solution. Instead, the behavior discourages me as a lead from opening other projects set up by my Team. In that project list, I want shortcuts to projects that are valuable to me, not a recently viewed list.

1 Like

I have the same issue. Would make a lot of sense to be able to not display projects I’m not a part of.

1 Like

Also experiencing this issue.

I’m setting up a portfolio for projects and it auto-completed and added some random project. I removed it from the portfolio, but do not have the option to do so in my sidebar.

Well I was hoping I would come here for answers but I can see it’s just as frustrating for everyone - which offers some sad comfort haha! We have guests who have access to 1 board and 1 person went rogue and created their own board, I think through their own Asana?? They couldn’t seem to tell me - either way I am NOT On the project nor is anyone else in our small team and yet the board sits there amongst our other boards for that client and it’s REALLY confusing. Is there really no solution to this? Thanks

Joining the group here to express disappointment. A department I don’t work with assigned me a task by accident. I am not a member of the project. The project has remained in my sidebar, even months after I haven’t gone into it.

There needs to be a way to remove projects from your sidebar, especially if you are not a member

Best solution I’ve found is to just hide the entire view and only look at starred projects. Obviously not an actual solution, but a nice work around for now.