Can I move a project to another team

Hey!

I have a project on my workspace/team. I want to move the project to another team. Is there a way to do this? Our team just got so large we decided to create a new team, but I don’t want to recreate everything.

Yes, you sure can! See:

3 Likes

Hello Phil or anyone who can answer! The “Move To Another Team” button is missing on my Asana. Is this feature still available? This is what I see on my screen – Asana Move to another project button|690x377 e? Thank you! :pray:

1 Like

Hi @anon81249878,

I believe that option being missing from that menu would indicate that you’re in a workspace, not an organization; workspaces cannot have teams in them, whereas organizations can. You can read more about these two variations here and here.

Thanks so much for explaining the difference Phil! I truly appreciate it. It has solved the mystery!:grinning: Yes, I am using my gmail account and I’m transferring the Task from my gmail to my client’s Organization space (her account is under xxx@companydomain.com) so I’m guessing it’s an Organization. So sad to learn I couldn’t transfer my Tasks!

1 Like

Phil,
I have a team member who’s having the same issue as Mina but we are in the same organization and utilize our company domain to access Asana. I (team member) have access to the project to move it but she (project owner) doesn’t. Do you have any thoughts/solutions to this?

I have confirmed that the team member who’s having access issues to move the project is a member of other teams in our organization. Thanks!

Hi @Pachia_Moua,

I’m not quite sure what you mean by “I (team member) have access to the project to move it but she (project owner) doesn’t”.

I’m puzzled because that doesn’t sound like the same issue as Mina had - in that case I would expect you’d say something like “I have the ‘Move project to another team’ option on my project menu but she does not”.

Can you clarify what she can and can’t see? Thanks!

Phil,
Sorry about the misunderstanding. Yes, you are correct, I have access to move the project to another team but she does not. Do you know why I have the ‘move project to another team’ option and she does not? In the case of the specific project we are trying to move, I’m a member of the project and she’s the project owner. In the image below is what I see on the left-side and what she sees on the right-side.

@Pachia_Moua, It may be because you are a member of the source and destination teams and she is not. If so, change her team memberships.

Larry

1 Like

That may be it. I double-checked and she is not a member of the source and destination teams. Thank you!

1 Like

I’m having an issue moving a project to another team. The menu option to move the project does not show up for me. I’m the owner of the project. It’s a private project. I’m a member of multiple teams. I’m even an admin of our organization. Why don’t I have the option to move my project to another team?

Nevermind. I realized I wasn’t a member of the source team like I thought I was.

I have a related problem. I have projects in a personal team. I’m the owner of the team. I want to move these projects to another team which I also own. The option to move does not appear on the project’s menu. Any clue what I’m doing wrong?

Welcome, @steve.hayworth,

Teams actually don’t have owners in Asana, so maybe double-check that all the following are true:

• you’re a member of the source team
  • you’re a member of the destination team
  • you’re owner or have edit access to the project you want to move

If all the above are true and still no luck, I think you should contact Support.

Hope that helps,

Larry

I’m having an issue with moving projects between teams that hasn’t yet been addressed here.

I am a member of an existing team, “Team A”. I created a new team, “Team B”. I am an admin of Team B. I would like to move existing projects in Team A to the new Team B.

For projects in Team A (the “from” team), Team A is in the drop-down menu for “Move to another project.” In that drop-down, Team A is listed with a checkmark next to it, indicating the project currently resides in Team A. I am allowed to move the project to a number of other teams that I’m a member of (e.g. Team C, Team D…not relevant to this conversation, since they’re not my target). However, Team B is not on the list, and I cannot move projects to Team B.

Alternatively, I tried creating a new project within Team B. When I open the drop-down menu, “Move to a new team” is available. However, Team B is NOT listed, despite that being where the project lives. There is no team on the list with a checkmark next to it. However, I can still move the project to Team A, Team C, Team D…etc.

In other words:
Team A → Team B = NOT possible
Team A → Team C, D, E… = possible
Team B → Team A, C, D, E… = possible

Any suggestions on what I’m missing here?

@Meagan,

Sorry to hear this; sounds like it might be a bug.

If you haven’t already, make sure you’ve ensured the items in this post are met (if you haven’t already done so):

If still an issue, try these troubleshooting steps, then email support@asana.com.

Thanks,

Larry

Thank you! I met the conditions in the previous post, and I just ran through the troubleshooting steps you linked. The issue is persisting, so I’ll reach out to support

1 Like

@Meagan did you get any feedback from the support team on this topic? Is giving members Admin rights an option to solve it or will that not work either? For me, I saw a notification from Asana to “upgrade to Enterprise” to manage project permissions - which is something I’m not willing to do just to have this option. So I’d be really grateful to get further insights into this issue. Thank you!

What happened to the Move to Another Team option on the project’s menu? It’s no longer available. To move to another team I have to edit the project details and choose another team.

1 Like

At the moment, the Project actions menu > Move to another team choice is not available to everyone, perhaps as part of an A/B test.

The recommendation is to instead use Project actions menu > Edit project details > Select a team

See also:

Thanks,

Larry

2 Likes