Bundle rules run multiple times on multihomed tasks

Briefly describe (1-2 sentences) the Bug you’re experiencing:

• When I set a rule to run for a task in a bundle, and this task is multihomed in multiple projects that also contain this bundle, the rule runs multiple times.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Make task and multihome to two or more projects
  2. Create bundle and make rule that applies to both of these projects
  3. Rule runs on the same task for the number of projects this task is multihomed to

What’s interesting is that this behaviour isn’t stopped by changing a field and checking whether that field has already been changed.

Browser version:
Desktop, but since the rule runs serverside I don’t think this is relevant.

What version of Asana are you using (Basic/Premium/Business/Enterprise)?
Enterprise

Upload screenshots below:

Hi @Jan-Rienk, sorry for the trouble. I’m consulting our Developers regarding this issue and as soon as I have more information I’ll get back to you.

1 Like

I think I’ve found a workaround for now, but it’s ugly.

• Make central project
  • Create the chasing rule there (when task is due add comment)
  • Creating a bundle rule that multihomes all new tasks to central project
  • Adding (multihoming) all tasks in this portfolio to central project

When the bug is fixed I can get rid of the central project and switch to using the bundle.

Is the bug at least reproducable?

Hi @Jan-Rienk thanks for sharing the workaround! I can confirm that we’ve been able to replicate the issue, but our Developers are still looking into this and there’s no update yet. I’ll let you know as soon as they get back to me.

2 Likes

Hi @Jan-Rienk, I’ve just heard back from our Developers, and they have shared another workaround:

1. Add a custom field to the bundle to track “whether or not the rule has run for a particular Task”

2. In the Rule, add an action to update that custom field to some value, say X

3. In the Rule, add a condition so that the Rule only runs if the custom field is not yet equal to X

They’re actively searching for a definitive solution, but unfortunately, they’re unable to provide an ETA for the fix just yet. In the meantime, I hope this workaround proves helpful!

1 Like

Hi @Vanessa_N ,

How does this approach differ from what I’ve already tried?

@Vanessa_N Can you follow up on this? I feel your suggestion is exactly what I’ve tried and you can see in the screenshots of the original post that although the field can only be set once, the rule does run multiple times on the same task since it adds the comment that this field is updated twice.

Hi @Jan-Rienk, apologies for missing the previous notification!

This is just an additional potential workaround, somewhat similar to yours, that the team has tested on their end to address this issue while there’s no official fix.

I completely understand that ideally, no workaround should be necessary, and the bundle rules shouldn’t run multiple tasks just because tasks are multi-homed. The Engineers are aware that this needs to be correct, however, we are not able to share an ETA yet. I’m really sorry for the trouble.

I’ve pushed back once again, and I’m hopeful that they will prioritize this fix soon :pray:

I’d be curious to see a screenshot of the workaround, since I don’t see how this is different from my approach.

:arrow_right: rule_has_run custom single select field

:arrow_right: set rule_has_run to yes

:arrow_right: check if rule_has_run is not set

Still, the comment behind this gets added twice after completing the task (trigger)

@Vanessa_N Any update on this bug?

Hi @Jan-Rienk, unfortunately the Developers don’t have an ETA yet. I’ve just checked and they are still working on a fix, but there’s no update yet. Apologies for that

Is this a tough one to fix?

@Vanessa_N Any update?

Hi @Jan-Rienk, apologies for the delay! Vanessa is out of the office but I’m happy to help :slight_smile:

I had a look and I see our engineers have found a fix for this issue and they are planning to implement it shortly. I will let you know as soon as it’s solved :raised_hands: