Rules aren't being followed with multiple projects

Briefly describe (1-2 sentences) the Bug you’re experiencing:
All of my boards are using the same rule set.

But when you add a task to another project, the status changes won’t move the tasks into their respective sections.

Looking at the screenshot below, you can see there are two different projects, but different sections.

I’ve created the same rules where if status is set to "Ready to Be Scheduled’ move task to Section and vice versa.

Steps to reproduce:

Browser version:

Upload screenshots below:
Screen Shot 2021-06-22 at 2.48.24 PM

The Rules run just once per day…usually around midnight by your local time. So check tomorrow and perhaps the tasks will have been moved appropriately.

You can (sort of) track this by clicking into the Rule, where it mentions the last time (hh:mm) it ran.

1 Like

That’s only for date-based rules (and which have no time-of-day involved).

@Jero1, when you say “status”, I assume you’re referring to a custom field you have set up called “Status”. The most likely issue is that you’ve set up a local project-specific Status field in each of the two projects, so that to Asana, they are 2 separate and unrelated fields. If you make sure to use a global organization-wide custom field - that is, one that’s in your custom field organization library - then the rules you describe will work.

1 Like

hey @Phil_Seeman

this custom field is part of our library and is used in both projects.

Then something else is going on because I tested the scenario you describe and it works as you’re expecting it would.

You’re 100.0% sure the field in both projects is in the library - that is, if you change that field in a task that’s multi-homed, you see the value change in the other project?

If you don’t, then at least one of them is not a library field. If you do, then maybe post screenshots of all the rules you have set up in both projects, because as I say, something is going on beyond the scenario you describe (or maybe I’m misunderstanding the scenario…)

EDIT:

Wait, I have a thought - how is the status getting changed in the first project - is it being changed by a human changing it, or is it being changed as a result of a rule firing?

1 Like

In the first project, it’s being changed by a human.

But I also have a rule set up in that project that would update the status if they moved into a new section, as well as if they select the status in the field.

Asana rules don’t fire as the result of another rule, so if you’re looking for the rule in Project B to fire as a result of a change made a by rule in Project A, it won’t. Not sure if that’s what’s going on here perhaps…

1 Like

Hi @Jero1, in this case, I’d suggest reaching out to our Support team so that they can look into the rules that is being triggered by a human. You can contact the Support team by following the steps here:

As Phil mentioned, however, Asana rules don’t fire as the result of another rule so this would explain why one of the Rules isn’t working as you had expected it to.

I hope this helps!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 16 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.