Deleted rule is still running

I had built a rule that was intended to mark tasks as complete when they were moved to the Complete section. However, it never worked correctly and didn’t mark the tasks as complete so I deleted it. Several weeks later it has started running again but taking ALL open tasks and marking them as Complete.

The rule no longer exists in the project and I am only catching tasks in the My Tasks section which are being “completed” by an invisible rule.

Does this mean my entire Project is buggy? Should I re-home all of the tasks into a new Project?

1 Like

Hi @TheAnswerLady

Are you able to investigate via the task activity ?

And does it possibly help to get to the bottom of things? :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Yes, when I hover I see a message that is nearly identical to what you see here. It’s a “When task is moved to section” rule that is owned by me. But the rule doesn’t exist anymore. I removed the rule probably a month ago because it kept moving tasks and marking them as complete on its own.

In my screenshot you can see the action explanation and I also included the Rules view where you can see that no Rules are running.

1 Like

@TheAnswerLady :wave:

Thanks, that’s helpful.

I have a last idea (before considering it a bug): isn’t it possible that those tasks also belong to another project (see the part “Projects” in your task details, under the Due date).
If that’s not the case, I think that’s a bug and I’d consider contacting the support as your issue looks very specific, and they will be able to check your account.

How to contact the Asana support?

Your best bet might be to try these troubleshooting steps, then create a support ticket, go to Asana Support - Help Center • Asana (make sure you are logged in to Asana) > click the chat icon at the bottom right > type “speak to an agent” > click “Yes” > click “Something Else” > click “Create a support ticket.”

@TheAnswerLady,

In addition to checking, as @Arthur_BEGOU suggested, to see if the task is multi-homed to another project that has a rule in it that’s doing this automation, if the task is assigned to someone you should also check that person’s My Tasks to see if there is a rule there which might be doing the automation.

1 Like