Backing up Asana to a file

How can I backup Asana to a file so that I can restore it later? This is in case someone makes unauthorized or accidental changes. With a backup, I can restore to a previous version.

If you’re on an Enterprise subscription, an organization-wide export is available:

On any other subscription plans, you can export on a per-project basis; there’s no full organization-level export provided.

1 Like

After exporting a project to a CSV or JSON, how can I restore the project from the CSV or JSON back into Asana?

For importing, see:

Thank you for your response. I exported a project into an Excel spreadsheet. However, when I tried to import it using the “Add Tasks via” feature, at first the file name did not show up when I selected “Choose File”. When I separately opened the folder with the Excel file, I was able to drag it to the window labeled Add Tasks via CSV. The import did seem to proceed. However, when it completed, none of the tasks were in the project.

I exported a project to an Excel spreadsheet using the CSV option. When in Excel, I saved the spreadsheet in two different types on two separate occasions: CSV UTF-8 (Comma delimited) and CSV (Comma delimited). In both cases, when I opened another project and selected “Add Tasks via”, selected CSV, and selected the saved Excel spreadsheet, the project was not properly restored at all. Please recommend a solution.

I’m afraid I don’t have any personal experience with trying to do such an import to be able to give you any advice. But I’m sure others have and will chime in.

Thank you tremendously. I appreciate your efforts. If you come up with anything new, please feel free to let me know.