Best way to backup asana projects & restore them in-place

Hi,

Our task-tracking web application is deeply linked with Asana projects via the awesome Asana APIs.

We want to back-up all our Asana projects on a daily basis, so that if anything goes wrong, we can quickly restore the affected project. What’s the recommended way to do this?

I have explored the ‘Export to JSON’ option, but it does not seem to backup comments. Also, how do we restore the snapshot back into the same project?

Thanks!
Prathamesh

1 Like

Hi,

If you reach out to me by private message, I am working on a deal with a backup software editor to get a discount on their tool to backup Asana. :wave:

1 Like

Just to underscore what @Bastien_Siebman said: the only capability Asana provides to get a full backup of everything in an organization is a full organizational export that’s only available to admins of Enterprise-level customers. And even then, there’s no facility provided to re-import that data back into Asana.

If you have sufficient privileges to the data (like an Enterprise-level service account), you could use the API to do the export (and theoretically the re-import) yourself.

Otherwise if you want a true full backup, you’d have to use a third-party service like Bastien mentions. (They have to use the API as well, basically.)

2 Likes

Thank you @Phil_Seeman!
We have been able to implement a basic backup / restore using the APIs itself.

2 Likes

Hi @Prathamesh_Joshi. Can I ask which plan of Asana you are using and which API you used for the backup?

Hi Prathamesh!

We’re building a solution that will allow you to automatically backup and restore Asana’s workspaces.
I would really like to understand the use cases that you have when it comes to Asana’s backup.
Message me anytime @ maria.korolenko@rewind.io if interested to have a discussion.

Here’s more info on what we’re building: Asana Backup and Restore - Rewind

For reference - Rewind is a leader in backup/rollback for cloud apps like Shopify, Quickbooks, Github, and Trello. Over 20,000 customers have trusted Rewind to backup their critical data including Shopify’s largest customers and brands like Hasbro and P&G.

Hi @Prathamesh_Joshi , in case you would run into difficulties to maintain your backup through the API, just know that our team has built an automated Asana backup. It offers daily, secured backups, advanced restore capabilities and a daily sync to Google Sheets.

Here’s some more information:

2 Likes

My experience as a paid subscriber was not really good
the app lacks many things such as prolonged and low-quality support
, also Why should I spend all that on asana if you don’t even have a backup tool
which I have to pay for to be able to back up my data, definitely that will be last month

even after 2 weeks, I contact support no one is answering (a paid member) - how about the free ones???

Hi @Islam_Osman thank you for sharing your feedback and I’m sorry to hear about your experience.
Unfortunately I could not find any records in our CRM database linked to your user name; nor could I find a support ticket created by you.

Would you mind dropping us an email with your question/issue on team@probackup.io?

Thanks, Will

Can I get more info about how you did that?

Bastien_Siebman, I’m interested in your services. Can you please email me at donna.hatch@research2policy.org

1 Like

Hi @Prathamesh_Joshi ,

I recommend trying FluentPro Backup for Asana.

It allows you to schedule automated continuous backups of your projects, tasks, and other data. In the event of accidental deletion or data loss, you can quickly restore data using point-in-time backup versions.

I agree, FluentPro Backup is an excellent solution for automated Asana backup and restore.

Welcome, @Susan_Smith1,

Can you be sure to note your association with FluentPro in your posts in the Forum? It appears that you have a relationship based on FluentPro Backup Makers | Product Hunt.

Thanks,

Larry

1 Like