New backup app for Asana

Hi everyone,

We are proud to announce that we have launched Pro Backup for Asana, the first dedicated backup for Asana that backs up all of your precious Asana data.

In short, Pro Backup is a safe & simple backup app that offers the following features:

• Quick and user friendly onboarding process - setting up your Asana backup only takes 1 minute!
  • Daily, automated backup that captures all of your Asana data including tasks, custom fields, comments, files, milestones, goals & portfolios
  • Daily sync to a secured Google Drive folder so that you can access & download your Asana backup at any time
  • Snapshot export to CSV to retrieve data from a specific date
  • Recovery export to retrieve tasks that were permanently deleted in Asana. More advanced restore capabilities will be added very soon!

If you want to protect your company against human mistakes or disgruntled employees, or any other worst case scenario then this backup app might give you peace of mind.

You can start a free 14 day free trial (no credit card needed) by visiting the links below:

If you have any questions, you can reach me via DM or leave me a message on this forum.

Cheers, Will

5 Likes

Hi @anon16074274,
That’s sounds great! Thanks for sharing in Asana Community Forum!

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing @anon16074274! Just to let you know I’ve removed the email address from your thread since it’s considered personal information! If someone is interested they can reach out to you via DM or comment on this thread :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great. Two questions: @Emily_Roman how is Asanas internally backup process? @anon16074274 will it be possible to restore the whole workspace if a complete data loss happen?

1 Like

Hi @OSTMOST, thanks for reaching out! our support team will be able to give you more details on this topic. I recommend you to contact them following these steps: How to contact our Support Team ✉ - #2. We currently offer the option to export projects to CSV and Admins of Enterprise Organizations can also export the entire Organization data, see more information in this article.

Hello @anon16074274,

Thanks! I’m interested. I’m curious if the App backs up the positions of tasks on Timeline.

I’ve been trying to create a backup just by duplicating a project to another team, but it resets all my carefully crafted timeline positions, so for now i’m just hoping no one messes with it and Asana doesn’t change how they save the positions! I also can’t seem to find the position information in the API or I would just grab it there.

Thanks!
Wes

Yeah, it’s not available via the API - you’re not missing anything!

1 Like

Today our backup app offers a recovery feature that allows you to recover data that was deleted permanently in Asana. We back up all meta data so we can provide with all the info needed to rebuild a workspace.

Currently we’re working hard on a restore function that will allow to directly restore data back to Asana. The first focus will be on tasks but we will gradually expand this restore function to projects and workspaces :blush:

Good question @Wes! @Phil_Seeman is correct: Timeline positions are not available in the API and are therefore not included in the backup.

This help articles gives more info on what data types are included in the backup: Pro Backup for Asana | Protect your Asana projects

Hi @anon16074274, that’s great news. Does this get us closer (or solve) the issue of being able to keep the same project in two workspaces in sync?

e.g. Project A in Workspace A is also Project A in Workspace B - there are lots of folks out here chasing the ability to keep Project A in sync across two organizations so I’m trying to understand in my head if this backup/restore mechanism solves for that.

Thanks!

1 Like

Thank @anon16074274 ! I work with 4 different organizations and have Asana for all 4. A few questions:

1. Can you confirm that this means that I’d have to pay 4x$23/month (for Plus) if I want my tasks and projects all backed up?

2. Will the work of all my colleagues on each of the companies will be backed up too?

3. If so, and the backup is in a .csv file, can I read my colleagues’ tasks and notes if I download the .csv?

TIA

Patrick

1 Like

Hi @Patrick_van_der_Valk, here are my answers to your questions:

1. Can you confirm that this means that I’d have to pay 4x$23/month (for Plus) if I want my tasks and projects all backed up?

You only need one license to back up your data, but we can only back up the workspaces that you have access to. Therefore we recommend that you sign up with the account of an admin user who has access to all workspaces.

1. Will the work of all my colleagues on each of the companies will be backed up too?

If there is one shared account that has access to all projects, then yes. If the access is restricted then it might be that you need more than one license.

1. If so, and the backup is in a .csv file, can I read my colleagues’ tasks and notes if I download the .csv?

That depends on your Asana setup, but yes: If you have access to the same project, then you can see all comments and tasks created.

I hope this helps? I’d be interested to hear more about your use case and how you structure your Asana projects. Feel free to drop me a PM to get in touch. Thanks!

Awesome, Thanks for sharing.

1 Like