Automation WITHIN Asana (not related to external apps)

Hi
In [Teamwork] I’m accustomed to having tasks automated. Specifically, in board view (and list view) if I move a card to a different column I could set that action to trigger other actions. For instance, when I move a card to “Done” column, this action triggers task autocomplete, additionally it removes all assignees automatically. Or when I move a card to “Pending Drawings” column, it would automatically add an illustrator tag and change the due date relative to the current day.

We could cut down on some of the “don’t forget to do this and that” conventions if there was more automation within Asana.

In my personal example, if someone starts a conversation that has an actionable task, I have to ensure: they create a task/subtask, didn’t forget to add an assignee and date, update a related custom field(s), AND multi-home the task/subtask to appropriate projects.

Especially, when you’re working with contractors/clients, you don’t want to confuse them with a bunch of rules and subtasks but also don’t want something to fall through the cracks and not make it onto a report view because someone simply forgot to update a custom field.

Just a suggestion that embodies the Asana mission of making it easier for teams to work together.

Thanks

Thanks for your feedback and for providing us with some context @Monique_Lay! Hopefully, this is something we can introduce in the future :slight_smile:

1 Like

There are a lot of Product Feedback items asking for specific automations, but you’re asking for a more generic ability to create IF-THEN rules within Asana. I agree that this would be really powerful feature (and have voted for it)!

7 Likes

Agreed. I’ve had to resort to getting into the developer API for this kind of thing, when having the ability to automatically add specified sub-tasks to tasks begun in a specific project would meet my needs very well. Thanks for bringing it up. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Much more succinct than I put it!

1 Like

I’m doing some training in Jira and the thing that pulls me is the IF-Then automation. I agree with @Phil_Seeman and @Monique_Lay that this would be a game changer! even just the ability to update tags or fields

@Paul_Grobler,

Please note that IF-THEN rule automation is now available in my Flowsana integration, including the ability to update tags and custom fields.

I’m aware that this thread is about automation WITHIN Asana and not an external app; but I felt it would be remiss not to mention Flowsana given its relevance to the core desire being discussed. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi @Monique_Lay and @Ben_Butler :wave:

In case you have missed it (Now rolling out to Asana users — Rules), we have implemented Rules that allows you to automatically move completed tasks to your “Done/Completed” column and viceversa! You can learn more in the following article: https://asana.com/guide/help/premium/rules

I hope you enjoy it! Have a great Friday!