Automate tags in Workflow

I’ve been looking for a way to automate tag creation on Asana using workflows, but unless I’m missing something – tags are not something that can be modified in Asana without Flowsana.

I already make use of Zapier, so modifying through another third party in principal is OK, but it’s confusing why this isn’t just a feature within Asana workflows in the first place.

I would love to support more third party services, but it would be preferable to just use Asana, as features like tags are core components of the platform.

Can you please allow users the choice of using third parties, this would help ensure that we are not forced onto other platforms to get the automation we need.

It also helps ensure that maintenance and support of these important workflows are in-line with the experience of the platform our teams are familiar with (Asana).

If I am mistaken, please feel free to correct me :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi @lilrkt, thanks for providing this feedback!

This feature isn’t available right now but I’ll keep you posted and let you know if we have any updates :slight_smile:

OK, that is fantastic. Our team would love to use Asana workflows for more automations… Ideally if we can also get to a point where we can pass workflows around to other projects as templates through a library, that would be killer.

2 Likes

Hi Rebecca, this is a related concept… We identify our company-wide priorities under a portfolio titled “Sprint” for the upcoming month. These are top priority projects, and everyone in our company has a hand in some sprint projects. It would be ideal to have them show up in My Tasks view as a cue to prioritize.

I found one workaround, which is to tag each priority task as Sprint and then customize the My Tasks view to include tags. But that’s rather labor-intensive, and not ideal due to the informal nature of tags. Do you have an alternative idea? If this is the best solution, is there a way to automate adding tags to projects or portfolios, so that one can in effect select all and tag these items rather than opening them individually?

There is, for projects:

• Add “Tags” as a column in the list view:

• Use the “Shift-click” keyboard shortcut to select multiple tasks in the list

• Click in the “Tags” column for any one of the selected tasks and set the desired tag.

When you do that, that same tag will be set for all of the selected tasks.

I really wonder why such a simple and useful feature is not available yet :roll_eyes:

3 Likes