Attachments embedding while commenting

My team just upgraded to Asana Premium and we’re loving it. I’m preaching to the choir, but I would like to add my vote into to have the HTML code adjusted to include an attachment link in the comment field. It kinda makes sense, right? Here is my design and my comment. It’s logical.

@Marie wrote “…and this is definitely something we might look into for future improvements.” was written in February 2018, over a year. I guess might was the operative word.

…or make the link bar sticky.

…or create a key command, which activates the attachment pane, so we don’t have to scroll all the way to the top. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Right? A link to the existing thread would be helpful. :roll_eyes:

HI @Dimitry :wave:t3:

Thanks for the mention and for sharing your feedback with us. We’re aware that this is a popular request among our Forum members and while we reconsider it ahead of each roadmap, it hasn’t been yet prioritized. I can’t promise when this will be implemented, but I can ensure you that I’m closely following on this topic and representing your voice internally.

@Anthony_Sequeira; this is the thread I’m referring to! You initially created this post Chat session - images as part of the conversation and I merge it into the thread you’re reading now which already had many replies and vites :slight_smile:

I would like to provide direction via a comment on a task and provide a markup pdf or etc to that comment. Instead each attachment is a comment in the thread.

the reason is my vendor uses this as notification because he doesn’t sit in asana all day, he’s in it just for us. So, if we are in a rush I have to contact him via other methods because currently asana spams with email.

I have read the other threads and I know there are various solutions but they all require people learn the quirk of asana or zip files first. Why not make the experience more like what people are used to by having a comment/post include an attachment?

Welcome to the Forum @steven.laster and thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to provide us with some extra information on why this would be a helpful improvement for you!

I completely understand where you are coming from. This is a known topic in the Forum and something our team is aware of. Hopefully this is something we can implement in a near future!

In the meantime, I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with the main thread to consolidate feedback and votes! And while I can’t promise when this will be implemented, I’ll make sure to update this thread as soon as I have more information about it!

I have always had the issue of giving/receiving feedback on specific images in Asana. I was wondering if you could insert images in a comment inside the task that requires to have image(s) Like a link to the image? Well, maybe something, as they do in Trello, which makes it very easy to communicate, especially speaking from a designer standpoint,

For example like I’m presenting multiple designs ideas and sometimes I need to refer to a certain image/file to comment about inside the Asana task and when working on bigger projects (20 plus images) it gets hard to refer to specific designs in comments. I think this could help expedite a lot of projects.

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @Maher_Sinjary and thank you so much for sharing your feedback with us! This is quite a popular request in the forum, and we have an existing topic, so I’ve gone ahed and merged your post with the existing thread to consolidate feedback!

Specifically in description and comment boxes, but really anywhere you can put text like Conversations too.

Often when laying out the details of a task or project it is beneficial to include images. Currently, if you’re typing up a longer story or response you have to say something like “See attached Image.” This gets even more cumbersome if you need to reference multiple attachments. It would be great if we could simply embed an image right in with the text. Basecamp and most other PM software I’ve used work this way.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing your suggestion with us @Patrick_Misch!

There is an existing thread regarding this topic so I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with it to avoid duplications! Please don’t forget to upvote it!

Have a great Friday! :slight_smile:

Currently, there is no way to add a caption to an image or attachment. Hence one has to create at least 2 posts each time an image/attachment is uploaded, 1) image/attachment, 2) for the accompanying description. If there are multiple uploads, then things will be even less clear as it may not be immediately apparent which upload one is referencing with one’s written description.

1 Like

Need to have the ability to add images to the same comment. There are times when the comment text specifically needs to be supported by an image and having them in the same comment makes a lot of sense.

Additionally, adding images by dragging it not working for comments. Clicking on the attach icon, searching for he correct file in Finder and then selecting it is too inefficient a process.

Browser: Firefox 72.0.2 (64-bit)

@Natalia: could you let us know if the option for using inline images is on the roadmap or not? A little bit more transparency would be nice. Saying “no” is also answer. :slight_smile:

I’m also one of those new Assana users (new job) that has been using other tools like Jira, Basecamp etc. I’m surprised that after almost 3.5 years this functionality is still not available.

3 Likes

This is a much needed feature as the current non-inline implementation means images lose context if they have a text comment associated with them.

1 Like

+1 to this feature (it has been a concern of mine for quite some time.)

The form and function of this Forum is much better (can add inline attachments and images + timeline on the right is good for long threads).

I’m not usually fan of Microsoft products, however their Teams app seems to handle conversations and images better then the Asana App.

I agree that inline and embedded images and video would be extremely helpful!

1 Like

+1 to having inline images/videos in the task description. Would be great to know if this is on the roadmap (Really hope that it is)

1 Like

Hello, I am trialing Asana to consider switching from Basecamp, but from what I can gather by reading this thread it is not possible to embed images inline with the text in a comment - is this still correct?

In Basecamp, I am able to do something like this (actually the images were pasted straight in from my clipboard), which is extremely convenient:

It sometimes does not make sense (and indeed is even confusing) to have attachments in Asana comments separated from the text, which provides the necessary context for the image. With just one image it is just about workable (using “see image above” type things, etc), but with more than one image it quickly becomes a nightmare.

It seems that this request is 2 and a half years old - can anyone update with whether there are plans to implement this / how close it is ? This is feature is really a dealbreaker for me in the decision on whether or not to move from Basecamp to Asana.

To achieve the same thing in Asana, the only way I can see is to make x4 separate comments - which is looks extremely cluttered and is more difficult to follow:

1 Like

Hi folks :wave:t3:

We’ve heard you loud and clear, and I’m excited to announce that You can now embed attachments in your comments! :tada: Thank you all for taking the time to share your feedback with us, we’re excited to release this new update, and hope it will help you communicate more fluidly with your teams!

I’m going to close this thread as most requests listed here have been addressed, but if you’d like to share some feedback following this update, make sure to create a new #productfeedback thread!

Happy Thursday to you all!

4 Likes