Assign Approval Based on Custom Field

Hello, hoping for some help on a workflow I’m trying to put together, wondering if the following is possible. We have about 15 Program Directors that review design projects, currently in our production workflow we have a multi-select field called “Program Director” that contains each of those Program Directors. We want to automate this process so an approval is created and assigned based on the PDs entered in the PD field. I can put this in manually in the rules section, but I just wanted to double check there’s not a better way to do this. My questions:

1. Is there a way to populate this field using a rollup, so we can easily update and manage our list of program directors. For example we could create a project called “program directors” which has a list of the PDs and their relevant info, then all the people on that list get fed into this multi select field?

2. Is there a better way of routing these approvals that doesn’t involve the manual creation/management of a large list of rules?

3. When it comes to rules and the “otherwise if” condition, does each “otherwise ifs” condition that is met fire? So if we have “Program Director 1”, “Program Director 2”, and “Program Director 3” selected in the multi-select, and we have a rule that creates an approval based on the Program Director field, will Asana create three approvals (desired behavior), or will it stop after the first PD is seen?

Let me know if any of that doesn’t make sense.

Thanks!

Welcome, @Ben_Wiggins,

I think your approach is the best you can currently do in Asana natively. Perhaps Flowsana.net (@Phil_Seeman) can help?

1. No
  2. No
  3. No, only a single condition among the set of “otherwise if” conditions will trigger. You can write your rule without “otherwise if” to achieve what you’re looking for.

Thanks,

Larry

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.