Assign a template from a form submission

Does anyone know if it is possible to set up a rule or anything to have a certain template used based off of the answers given in an asana form? We have certain subtasks, task details and assignments based off of work type. I know that I can set an assignment using a rule based off of the answer in theform. But is it possible to have it use an asana template.

For example: For one of our questions we ask what the work request type is. If they were to answer an update to an existing web article, would it be possible to have the task be created using our update to existing article template?

I don’t think you can have a form response trigger a template be used.

One of the ways I work around this is by multihoming based on the request type, into a project that is for that specific request type. Then it moves through that project with automation that create subtasks based on the section it ends up in. So, we have reimbursement requests come in - they go into the Reimbursement project and when it goes into the first section it creates a subtask for me to review.

So you could essentially multi-home, and when it enters that first section it adds your process via subtasks, or move it through sections and have it add subtasks along the way.

1 Like

That’s definitely one of the workarounds I’ve thought of. Just hoping I can avoid needing to do the multihoming. Thanks for the response!

@Paige_Porter,

You can’t do exactly that yet in native Asana (perhaps with flowsana.net, @Phil_Seeman?).

But you can achieve something similar with rules mimicking the task template you have. Rules can set values of fields, add subtasks with metadata set, etc., all things a task template does, just a different way.

@Kasey_Nichols’s answer describes this a bit with multi-homing, but you don’t require multi-homing to do the functions mentioned.

Hope that helps,

Larry

1 Like

Yep, you can definitely do this with Flowsana; there is a pretty new “Add tasks…” rule action, to go along with the “Add subtasks…” rule action. Between the two, you can add top-level tasks (which themselves can have subtasks) or just subtasks, to any task including a form submission.

1 Like

@Phil_Seeman Related question: I know Flowsana also offers the ability to trigger a template-based project based on form data submitted, but does that work for templates that have deadlines built off of a singular due date? I have this automation set up in Flowsana, and even though the form’s “date” field is mapped to the “due date” field in Asana, the project that is now automatically created takes on the current date instead of the due date.

Hi @Tiffany_Broom,

In order to grasp all of the specifics you’re describing and get you a good answer, I’ll probably need to gather some data and task links from you. If you can send an email to support@flowsana.net with the info you asked above, we can pick it up from there in our support system. Thanks!