Allow to have different columns in a same project depending on which view (Board or List) you're looking at

+1 on this too.

Sections in List and Timeline is more of organising tasks
Whereas board is more on status or other groupings that is not.

If in the case that they are the same, I could do with 1 (list or board). The other would be redundant. It is just transposing data which I can do with excel.

2 Likes

I’ve been evaluating a new tool for all the employees at my firm to use for managing client workflow. I selected Asana this morning after a 7-day trial where I piloted a number of features and beta tested with members of my staff. I paid for the subscription and was ready to get started when I ran into the issue raised in this thread. Because I’ve already gotten the staff accustomed to a traditional kanban board and sections appear in the board view as the column titles, this can’t be used like a traditional kanban (ToDo, Doing, Stuck, Done). After all my work with the pilot I have cancelled my plan and moved to monday.com - which supports a traditional kanban view even though the list is grouped by some other taxonomy.

My view is that the whole point of having multiple views (e.g. list, board, calendar, gantt) is to be able to see data differently. When I evaluated Asana I just assumed I would be able to create complex lists with tasks grouped into sections and then change to kanban and have the tasks ordered differently just like when I switch to the calendar view I expect to see tasks on certain days, not by section. Not having the ability to see tasks between a list and kanban fundamentally undermines the value of the tool.

5 Likes

Yeah it’d be nice if Asana implemented this the way ClickUp has.

1 Like

Can we get an update on this please AsanaTeam?, this is a real problem for many and is thwarting adoption.
My business won’t embrace Asana for this very reason.

3 Likes

I would love to see a similar feature with Asana boards that is deployed in Microsoft Planner. It allows the user to re-sort the board view columns based upon the fields that are relevant to them. For example, one user might view the board columns as business functional areas (design, operations, accounting, etc.), while another wants to see everything based upon the individuals that are assigned (Bob, Tom, Jane, etc.), while a third may be interested in seeing progress of tasks (Assigned, In Progress, Complete, Archived).

This utilizes tags and fields that are already being used, but allows the user to filter the space based on what makes sense for them and the info they need to see. Even allowing a team to have multiple boards in one project (but set-up different ways) would help.

4 Likes

It’s Oct 2021 and several other project managers have this ability (Monday, Microsroft, etc). Can Asana revisit this please?

3 Likes

ClickUp has it as well. I’d like to see this in Asana also.

1 Like

Upvoting this feature request. It makes 200% sense to change the way this works.

6 Likes

Because of this one BIG oversight by Asana… I’m out! Asana isn’t listening to their customers and doesn’t understand the fundamentals of Kanban.

4 Likes

Also find this limiting on our projects, with no good way to have grouped tasks by type and also see kanban style view for progress.

2 Likes

same here, just started using asana and puzzled why it does not have kanban functionality - upvote for adding

2 Likes

+1 on adding this feature. It’s a huge blocker that you can’t visualize boards with different groupings than the sections you first select. I manage half of my projects through airtable because of this. Please fix Asana!

This is very disappointing, seems to be a show stopper for my use case

Just tossing my own support here for this feature. Not having this capability sadly makes the board view completely useless, while I’d love to take advantage of it.

1 Like

I’m having this issue while organizing personal tasks. I want to do a Kanban board over the backlog, but the issues are already organized into categories, so there’s no way to do that with this feature. I am trying a separate board with the Kanban sections, and that kind of works, but then the tasks get removed from their categories on the first board.

2 Likes

Another enthusiastic +1 from me too

1 Like

It actually already is possible in Asana to have different structures/groupings in List and Board view. Until/if Asana implements a stronger decoupling of views underlying this request, the following is, I believe, a solution for now that hasn’t been mentioned yet in this thread and will help in at least some use cases.

Hope that helps some who look in this thread, until/if something better comes along.

Thanks,

Larry

Can we have an explanation on how to create different groupings in the list and board sections? You seem to be saying that it can be done, but I dont see how.
Please explain.
Thank you

Welcome, @Liora_Waxman,

Did you check out my linked post? It explains how in list view you sort by a custom field and toggle off sort within sections; there are screenshots. You can save those settings for that view with the “…” menu and Save layout as default.

Hope that helps,

Larry

@lpb Thanks for the blog post.

This is a good half-way solution but ultimately the other comments above are still accurate. You should be able to remove the sub-sorting by sections when sorting by another field (this doesn’t appear possible today) and the sections should become another optional column in the list view to display or not.

I’m new to Asana and frankly am surprised by it’s lack of flexibility compared to other solutions out there.

1 Like