Allow other users to edit an automation rule.

I posted the other if there was a way so other users could edit a rule if needed - the creator might be on vacation or even laid off.

Iā€™m the admin user of my companyā€™s account, and not even me can edit or disable a rule created by another member.

Do you have any dev in progress on that?

4 Likes

Hi @Denis_Sooma and thank you for creating this feedback!

This is definitely in our radar! Iā€™ll make sure to keep you posted here as soon as I hear anything on my end! Please donā€™t forget to upvote it slight_smile

2 Likes

Hey Asana,

I recently created hundreds of rules for team projects that trigger updates for the whole company. However, I did not realize I alone can edit the rule. Ideally, our operations team members would be allowed to make simple updates to Rules (like which custom field is updated).

Is this permission to edit Rules on the roadmap? It would be SO helpful.

Hi @anon25547673 and thank you so much for sharing your feedback with us! This is something our team is aware of and planning to tackle (hopefully soon!).

We already have a thread on this topic, so Iā€™ve gone ahead and merged your post with the existing thread we have on this.

Iā€™ll keep you posted here as soon as I have some updates on this topic!

1 Like

Dear Asana Team

I have created more than 100+ rules but then realize when team is actually working, some rules need to be changed, and then they are asking me always to change. How unproductive it is. I have got 30 people team, and I cannot delegate this small task to change the rule, I have to do it by myself.

I hope the Asana team will soon give the option to edit rule by the admins of the organisations.

2 Likes

Ugh same thing here. What a silly thing to have to demand. When you change the ownership of the project, shouldnā€™t the ownership of the rules within it change as well?

4 Likes

Any update on this?

Has this been resolved?

I find it VERY odd that others canā€™t edit rules. What if someone leaves the company. There is no way to pass that ability over? Fields has the ability to ā€˜lockā€™ a field so should rules, but not by default.

This is a horrible function flaw.

2 Likes

It passes over automatically. From the Asana Guide page on Rules:

Deprovisioning

When you deprovision someone who has Rules, their Rule will be paused and ownership of any Rules on projects will be passed to the Project Owner.

If there is no Project Owner, ownership will be passed to the Admin who deprovisioned the user. Only the new owner of a Rule can re-activate the Rule to have it continue running.

2 Likes

thanks Phil, but what about those who are still there? I set up a bunch of rules in templates, but now the project owner canā€™t update them. Seems odd.

Yeah, my comment only covers people who leave the company - just wanted to make sure it was stated here that the ā€œemployee leavingā€ use case is covered. This topic, and the voting for it, is certainly still valid in regard to the overall issue of other users getting access to rules for editing purposes.

2 Likes

Over a year and this still hasnā€™t been implementedā€¦ :frowning: disappointing as usual.

Upvoting the trend. I strongly feel that rule edition should be by default provided to admin users and also to project owners.

If there is one thing Asana seriously needs to invest their R&D it is in ā€œAccess Controlsā€

5 Likes

I do not understand the logic of rules only be editable by their creator as the only option. Makes zero sense. Fields can either be open or locked so why not rules?

Use Case:
When I set up Asana for clients, then leave once I am done, they currently have to go in and reactivate the rules. If there is any delay, rules donā€™t execute and workflows break.

This is a horrible process that injects lots of risk. I honestly canā€™t believe someone at Asana thought this to be a good idea.

Hi @Getz_Pro, thanks for your feedback! Hopefully this is something we can implement in the future. Iā€™ve gone ahead and merged your feedback with the existing feedback thread on this topic to consolidate feedback. Weā€™ll make sure to post an update once we have any updates.

1 Like

When updating a Rule or Automation, there needs to be an easy way for additional people to make changes. Currently only the user who created the rule can update it. This is an issue for us as for example, I have an Operations Manager who may create a rule for a task to auto assign to a store manager when created, but if that manager changes, I need my Field Support manager to be able to update it to the new manager without going through the Operations manager.

There just needs to be a simple way for people with specific permissions to be able to update any Rule in any project they are in. Perhaps a setting in the Project Permission such as ā€œAdmin Memberā€ access. Just a thought.

1 Like

Hi @Adam_McWilliams, thanks for taking the time to provide this feedback! :slight_smile:

This is popular feedback in the Forum! Iā€™ve gone ahead and merged your post with the existing feedback thread to keep everything together.

Hopefully this is something our Product team can implement in the future! :slight_smile: Iā€™ll back in on this thread should there be any updates!

1 Like

Hello, my team has recently seen some changes in our staff and as a result, we have needed to change/reassign many tasks and projects on asana. I have taken over a project from an old team member and have removed them from asana, however, when I go to the rules section of this project it says that only they can edit/delete the rules. Is there a way to change this? Can the Asana developers fix this feature somehow? I really donā€™t want to have to re-create all the rules. As the owner of the project, I should have the ability to edit all rules, regardless of who created them, especially when that person is no longer on our team.

If anyone has anything I can try to fix this please let me know.
Thanks!

1 Like