Allow converting messages into tasks

I often receive actionable messages from peers which would become a task in the future.

The problem is that the message usually initiates with a question, so the other person doesn’t know if it’s going to be something actionable until a response is provided, so rather than creating a task, the person prefers to just send a message, which makes sense.

However, the way in which Asana currently offers creating a follow-up task doesn’t help much, as the initial scope of the task would be better represented by the description instead of simply linking to the message while keeping the comments discussed on the message present on the task itself.

This is something which could be achieved by converting the message into a task rather than creating a follow-up which loses context a little.

1 Like

Hi @Marcus6, thanks for taking the time to provide this feedback! What a cool feature this would be :slight_smile:

Hopefully this is something our Product team can implement in the future. I’ll keep you posted if I have any updates :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That is an awesome idea! Upvote +1

4 Likes

I upvoted.

Some history: Messages used to be “Conversations” and Conversations used to have a way to convert one to a Task!

Larry

4 Likes

Had the same idea, found your thread. +1 upvote!

The conversation often needs to be saved, and it’s important to know that a task has been created so discussion on the original thread can stop, and can continue on the more purposeful task. So the fact that a task has been created must be visible in both places.

x 100 - my team has a real struggle whether to create a message or a task. Would love to help them by being able to convert!

I guess you could say that you can’t expect someone to do something sent via a message :man_shrugging:

Right? Well, right now with the limitations on what you can do with messages, it’d help a lot to convert a message to a task that we can then organize, schedule etc.

1 Like

Yes! I would love this ability to easily create a task from a message. I’m not such a fan of the messaging feature in Asana because people often message me about things that need to be tasks - and it’s an extra step to convert it to a task. Thanks!

I keep running into the need of converting messages into Tasks. This would come in so handy and possibly save Asana some storage space so we are not re-uploading files from a message into a task.

1 Like