Adding time length to tasks (for Timeline)

Hello
We’ve joined the premium version so our team could work in Timeline.
I can’t seem to create time lengths and dependencies in it… Which are two of the main purposes of Gantt charts…
How do I: (a) set a time length to a task so Timeline could use it? (b) set dependencies between tasks, so I could have a good overview of the project ongoing?

Thank you

Have a look at https://asana.com/en/guide/help/premium/timeline
I think start date, end date… is what you are looking for.

I think you should create a custom field if you want to record Task Hours for each task.

Thank you, but that is not the challenge.
The idea is to link between time length and the chart - showing the process, and how delay in one task, affects its successors.

@Eli1 it sounds like Asana’s Dependencies feature and Timeline are exactly what you’re looking for. When you mark a task as dependent on another, the two tasks will be connected in Timeline view. The connecting line will be red if there is a conflict in the dependency.

The Dependencies works fine, but how about being able to assign the number of work hours or days to a task for the Gantt Chart.

Creating a custom field could work for knowing how long something will take, but that would not affect Timeline, which is the main goal.

I need this feature too. Custom field won’t sync with timeline length, you have to sync manually, this is very annoying.

^^^^ Yes, as a project manager, I need to be able to type in only a few things to automatically build a project timeline: Task Name, duration, dependency.

This would allow one to auto-build a schedule with the start date of the task being the end date of the ‘dependent on’ task and the end date being calculated automatically using the duration of the task.

The idea being, if the end date of a predecessor moves, the start date of the dependent task automatically moves based on the new end date of the predecessor. also, the end date of the dependent task automatically gets updated (calculated: end date = start date + duration).

Otherwise, when a predecessor task moves out, each person responsible for ‘dependent on’ tasks must move their start dates manually…

This is a reallllly big deal for those of us who are used to using MS Project and is a key reason I still don’t use Asana for my project management unless forced to do so… Please confirm if my understanding is right - that there is no ability to auto schedule based on predecessor end date and duration.

You perfectly described why the timeline feature is not yet fully tempting for project management professionals.
I’ll add also another important aspect : the ressources levelling. The ability to add a team members to tasks taking into consideration the effort estimated, but also the availability of the person.

Well said, @Jeremy_Manning. It does seem like Asana has some long-term plans related to this but I wouldn’t expect changes anytime soon.

Todd Cavanaugh
Training & Consulting for Asana

Please set up a duration feature, Asana! This is KEY in being project timelines with a Gantt chart.

• 1 This is an important feature for project management.