Adding subtasks via csv

Fantastic news, thanks Marie. I’ll putting this through it’s paces later on today for sure!

And since software users are all take, take, take I’ll add: Any plans to enhance this further to include dependencies? :wink:

1 Like

I hope this is something we can in a close future @Alex_Thut! Will make sure to let you know when I hear something!

Not wanting to look a gift horse in the mouth but having tested this functionality it seems very slow to me. The main reason one would want to add tasks and subtasks via csv would be for bulk uploads (otherwise you’d just use a template task and copy that…). When adding 395 tasks, with 27 subtasks each (some 11k+ things in total) I had to cancel it after 3 hours as it hadn’t even got half way and I’m not prepared to stay at work until 8pm… I’m going to run it in 4 smaller batches tomorrow but wonder if there is some way to speed it up with a patch?
I appreciate my use case is likely an extreme end of the scale but just wanted to offer feedback on my first attempt :frowning:

1 Like

Hi @Marie! I tried to reproduce the same steps and I didn’t get subtasks to be under a task. I noticed that your snapshot of the CSV file says ‘Project_A’, but on the next snapshot, the subtasks were linked to ‘Project_B’. It’s quite confusing…:thinking::confused:

1 Like

Hi @Cecilia_Costa!

Project A is in the name of my CSV doc, containing all tasks I’m importing in my Asana project called “Project B”. I’ve also tried to clarify my previous post. Does that help?

Yes @Marie, that helps me understanding why they have different project names, but I’m still not getting the subtasks under a task, even using your sample to test it :frowning: :exploding_head:

Aside from including dependencies, I’d love to see mapping capabilities for tags and a dedicated Description field!

2 Likes

Today I was playing with importing data from csv. It works really nice and smooth, subtasks work fine, but I must tell that it will be extremely helpful if you release dependencies update soon :wink: I’m looking forward to it!

2 Likes

I have just run into a problem regarding the subtask import function. I am trying to import subtasks to an existing task. The import wizard tells me that i have an issue and tells me: Unsupported values. “SO-11074” is not a valid choice

Any ideers to what i am doing wrong?

Hi @CHDK are you using a Mac? I had the same problem and just had to change the encoding option. Let me know if this works!

1 Like

Hey Asana, any updates on importing subtask dependencies via CSV import? @Marie @Michael_A

Not at the moment @Jeremy_P , but I would recommend creating a thread in the #productfeedback category to allow other users to vote for this feature request too. On my end, I’ll make sure to keep you posted when I have an update!

1 Like

Can you direct me on how to change the encoding options?

I have a simple but urgent question about sub-tasks. I associated the same list of ‘sections & sub-tasks’ to multiple tasks on a project ( in board view ).
How we use the board:

• Columns show the progress of a task “proposal” through the workflow
  • Each task on my board was a the name of a Proposal my team was reviewing
  • the sub-tasks were the screening checklist (same for every proposal)

In Sep 2018, I imported a .csv with one of the columns being ‘sub-tasks’ and the result was that each task in the board had the same checklist (ie. each project had a checklist of criteria). Now that i am trying to use the same format this is no longer working. It now, must be on the same row as the initial task name. (that makes it so that I have multiple rows with the same Proposal name - very difficult to import via CSV.)

There has been a lot of discussion of importing of subtasks. Apparently there are major limitations and that is likely what you are experiencing. Some workarounds exist. Please see this: Search results for 'subtask import' - Asana Community Forum

Marie, this import only works if your importing all tasks and subtasks at the same time, we have issues when a sub task needs to be added by itself into an existing Project and task. It keeps creating a task rather than a subtask of the existing parent task?

2 Likes

@anthony5 this is by design. Currently, you are only able to import new information. You are unable to link to existing information in a project. This is the case for subtasks, dependencies and even Sections/Columns.

The only items within a project that you can link to are Custom Fields. In order to do this you have to make sure that the criteria matches (e.g. field values equal drop-down options or field values match the field type)

I would suggest up-voting the following #productfeedback posts:

I can’t get the subtasks to keep the other column info once I import them,

1 Like

4 posts were split to a new topic: Custom fields missing when importing subtasks via CSV