Adding subtask approvals automatically

Hi All,

I’m really struggling with something that I hoped would be simple. I have a social media content calendar that requires a few approvals but I don’t want every person involved on everything. I want them only involved when relevant. I also need this to have a level of automation.

Here is the current process.

a, Content is submitted through a form. The Comms Director is informed and approves for it to be sent to the Design team.
b, the design team designs it and then submits it for the Approving Director (can be different each time)
c, the Approving Director approves it or sends it back for edits (this needs to go to the Comms Director for this) or is approved and sent to the Comms Director for publishing approval.
d, The Comms Director then approves it or sends it back for edits.
e, The content is published.

I have the board broken up into the following sections:

1. Submitted content for review
  2. Content approved - In production
  3. Content produced - for Director publishing review and approval
  4. Content approved by Director - Comms / CEO publishing review and approval
  5. Approved for publishing
  6. Published / Completed

The problem is I can’t develop a rule to do this well.

I have that when the form is submitted the Comms Director is assigned to the task. The problem is I turn the task into an approval and then need to hack it a bit as it moves through the process to get it to the desired result.

I would also like to allocate the relevant director straight from the form to the relevant sub task but I can’t find a way to do that. The biggest complaint I get is there are too many notifications for the Directors.

I was hoping to setup subtask with approval dependencies but I can’t seem to do that through rules. I would really appreciate any advice on this.

Thank you so much.

1 Like

What you might want to do is utilise different projects and multi-homing. You’d have one project for the overview, and when a task gets to a specific section, they get added to another project.

Then you can perhaps utilise the specific project’s membership and rules to only trigger the notifications for when it’s relevant.

1 Like

Hi @David_Byrne

Welcome to the forum. In addition to Jan-Rienk’s suggestion.
The workflow you have should be achieved with the rules you are building.

Check these two screenshots:
Rule 1: when a request is added by a form, create an approval as a subtask. This goes to your Comms Director

When you create this rule, make sure the Comms Director is not added as a collaborator. Make sure this remains unticked.

My assumption is that when the request is created, you have no subtasks to be created in your workflow other than the approval as a starting point.

Your next step, if approved, is to move this to production.
You can create a rule that when all subtasks are complete - in this case, you only have 1 subtask which is the approval. So when it is complete, you can move the main task to another section.

Check the rule I created below.

When the task is moved to the next section, you can then proceed with your workflow.

One caveat to keep in mind:
Currently, you cannot build a rule based on the status of the approval subtask specifically.
So if the approval was approved or rejected, it will be treated as complete, and the task will move to the next section.

You can overcome this by creating a rule that when the approval status changes, a comment is added for the next person to either mark task complete / request denied. or mark it in progress.

I hope this helps a bit.

Rashad

2 Likes

That makes it less complicated, so that’s probably better. :slight_smile:

1 Like