Add an action to Rules to "Duplicate task"

I am looking for this too. it would be super helpful.

This is necessary.
It seems like it can be used in a variety of ways.
For example, Would like an option for recurring/repeat task every <X> business days

日本語フォーラムにも提案しました。

Hi Following up on this request. We are using Asana for onboarding intake forms and need the task to be duplicate to projects in other folders so that other departments are alerted that a new request has come in. Any updates???

1 Like

Hi, @Kevin_Crasta

It’s not a direct solution, but wouldn’t creating a new task with rules meet your needs?

1 Like

I could also use this feature (duplicate task, not show the same task in a diff project). Thx!

For this to work for my use-case, I would also need to the ability for the rule to read all the projects the source-task is in and add those same projects to the new task. Not sure how this would be accomplished with a new-task creation.

The ‘duplicate task’ functionality is already available via the api, so adding this as an available rule should be doable.

1 Like

We could use this rule too!!! @Hazel_Ingram

Our business unit would benefit from a rule that enables us to:

1. duplicate a task
  2. make it a subtask of the the task being duplicated
  3. send the subtask to a specified project

Right now, that process is manual and time consuming. We do it so that we can maintain 1 central intake with the original request and create subtasks for various workgroups to perform their portion of the work. Originally, we used the rule to make a generic subtask and place it in the proper project. However, team members did not like having to navigate to the parent task to view the description and we still had to update fields to match the parent task.

@Katie_Melby, If you go back to your original process and add usage of “Variables” you can insert the parent Task title and Description in the subtask’s Description field, and also the value of the parent task’s custom fields there. But not set the subtask’s custom fields to the parent task, but I think Flowsana.net can do that (@Phil_Seeman).

Thanks,

Larry

1 Like

Our organization does not currently allow access to the platform integrations. We don’t even have access to the new AI capabilities. So if it’s not out-of-box, it’s out of our grasp.

1 Like

@Katie_Melby, In case it wasn’t clear, it’s all out of the box except the custom fields part.

The custom fields part is why I found this issue to vote on. I was surprised to see that we still cannot use a variable on custom fields when using a rule to create a task. I’d like to be able to preset some custom fields on the new task to inherit whatever that field is in the current task. Putting a reference of it in the description is breaking down automation I want to build so that the new task just keeps on moving in the spaces I’m sending it based on custom fields.

6 Likes

Also here to say that variables for custom fields would be a game changer for this software. The fact that I can not create a task, and then have that task create another task in 10 different locations (i.e. Corporate sends tasks/projects down to store locations but all stores have to do the same task) and allow it to pick up that the Status is a department or some other value is killing the ability for Asana to be used as an actual way to automate to every level. At some point, it falls off the rails.

This is a huge downsize to Asana.

1 Like

Is there any estimation on when this feature might roll out?

1 Like

Adding more example/info to this request.

Right now, I can duplicate a task manually and have the options shown in the screenshot below. This creates an exact duplicate of the task and inherits the fields as well which is great for certain situations. I’d love to have this same ability in Rules so I can do this automatically.

4 Likes