Add a project to a portfolio, while I'm in the project itself

I am constantly looking for this feature, and I’m surprised it’s not been added yet. There is already the Related Portfolios list on the Project Progress tab. Why not simply add a “Plus” button in that section to add additional Portfolios? Seems like an easy win for the Dev team to add this. I hope it gets added soon to eliminate the mental gymnastics of having to go to each Portfolio and add the project.

3 Likes

I see that we are able to add and remove the brand new Goals feature directly from within a project, so it appears that doing the same for Portfolios should be 100% technically possible. I hope Asana will enable this for Portfolios very soon. It would help my team’s workflows very much!

I’m adding my vote to improve adding projects to a portfolio. Our project managers utilize templates the majority of the time as part of our workflow. We love portfolios because it helps us organize our projects into buckets. However, right now adding a project to a portfolio is cumbersome. We have to create a project from template outside of the portfolio and then open the portfolio view, and add it by searching from a very long list of projects in a drop down menu. I see that there is the ability to create a new project within a portfolio, but it does not give you the option to apply a template when creating a new project within the portfolio.

2 Likes

Adding projects to portfolios should be easier to enable the more frequent updating of them:

1. Allow users to drag projects from the sidebar into portfolios
  2. Allow users to add projects to portfolios from the project. Just like you can move the project to another team, you should be able to add it to portfolios from that same menu.
1 Like

I love using portfolios to segment out various projects into groups, however the only way to add a new project to a Portfolio is by going into the Portfolios and adding it from there. However, logically, when I’m creating a new project it is from the project that I want to add it to one or more portfolios. It is awkward to remember to leave the project and go into portfolios to simply add the project that I was just inside of anyway. This would be a huge improvement. Thanks.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing your feedback with us @Liz_Krause! We already have a thread related to this topic so I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with Add a project to a portfolio, while I'm in the project itself to centralize feedback!

Is this even going to be implemented? I see the original thread goes back over a year for a very useful feature that is very much needed!

3 Likes

I mention this feature request in every feedback opportunity I get. Feedback from talking to Support about it indicated that enhancements to Portfolios are coming, but no timeframe given. I also have a meeting with our Asana account rep soon and will be bringing this up. :crossed_fingers:t3:

1 Like

Any update? This has been a known issue for over two years now in looking at this thread and a HUGE barrier to my team as we work to use portfolios for better reporting/update for leaderships. It’s cumbersome to build your project and then go to another section to add it to the appropriate portfolios. This should be a no-brainer to help teams fully optimize and use Portfolios.

1 Like