Ability to set dependencies in Task Templates

We have complex interrelationships within our task and the best way to manage them is with a template with built-in dependencies that are automaticallly applied. Otherwise setting up the dependencies for hundreds of tasks take a LOT of time - It takes at least 5 mind-numbing minutes per task multiplied by 500 and now we are at 2500 minutes - hours to do this.

It wouldnā€™t be so bad (maybe) if we could have relative due dates for all of these as well - but we canā€™t do that either and that also takes a lot of time to set up for every task tree (we have task>6 subtasks, and a total of 8 sub-subtasks)ā€¦ Between these serious weaknesses in functionality - we are spending a lot of unnecessary time to set these up.

We are not interested in adding another tooling integration at all. We feel that native asana should be able to handle this.

Is there any plan - or any other way to do this?

1 Like

Hi @anon18904053, thanks for taking the time to provide this feedback!

Adding dependencies to task templates is a popular request and something our Product team is actively working on! While I donā€™t have any updates right now, Iā€™ll keep you posted as soon as we know more! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi,

I would like to add dependencies to my task template, so they are automatically there when I use a template, instead of adding them manually after a task has been created from the template. How is this done?

Thanks

1 Like

Hi @Leeaaaa, welcome to the Asana Community Forum :wave:t2:

Adding dependencies to task templates is a popular request and something our Product team is actively working on! While I donā€™t have any updates right now, Iā€™ll keep you posted as soon as we know more! :slight_smile:

My company uses a lot of task templates, pre-built with subtasks assigned out, to flow assets from one team member to the next in the correct order. Weā€™ve found the best way to do this is to add dependencies to the appropriate subtasks so the next person/people in line get notified when their work can start. Right now we have to go in and manually add those dependencies whenever a new task/template is used.
It would save us a lot of time to be able to have those inter-task dependencies pre-loaded into the task template.

Hi @Shanley_Reynolds you may want to upvote here:

Thanks for sharing your feedback with us, @Shanley_Reynolds! Iā€™ve gone ahead and merged your post with the main request to consolidate feedback. We will post any updated in the main thread :slight_smile:

Just adding my two cents that this is probably my most desired feature right now! It looks like the Asana team is already on it, but just in case!..

2 Likes

Thanks for your feedback, @CareyAnnComeau! We are working on some enhancements for Task Templates and we hope to have news about dependencies soon. Keep an eye on our announcements category!

3 Likes

any news on task dependencies for templates?

1 Like

@Rebecca_McGrath ā€” Is the product team still actively working on this?

@Rebecca_McGrath can we expect the same ability for custom fields as well?

Hi @Skyler, thanks for following up.

Yes! Our Product team is still actively working this feature. Iā€™ll keep you posted as soon as we know more!

2 Likes

Hi @Ewson, thanks for reaching out. Could you please clarify what you mean by the same ability for custom fields? You would like the ability to set custom fields in Task Templates, is this correct?

1 Like

I too am looking for this as well as the ability to multi-home subtasks in tasks templates, thatā€™s a huge need for our team right now creating task templates with specific tasks that need to also be tracked in a separate project.

@AshleyWright I agree and support you and I would vote with you for subtask dependencies on task templates :raised_hands: please #asana-together

Hi @Rebecca_McGrath,

Any news on this? I have the exact use case as many others have mentioned, so Iā€™m expecting this feature.

Thanks!
JosƩ

Hi everyone! Iā€™m excited to announce we just started rolling out Dependencies for Tasks Templates :tada: Thanks for sharing your feedback here! Please see more details in the image below:

If you have any questions, please reach out via our #tipsandtricks category. We will be happy to help!

7 Likes