Ability to manually adjust Date Format in Asana Settings

Hi Michael,

It seems that my post was hidden as it didn’t reflect what Asana wanted to see I sent you a link to a competitor who does not have the date issues and offers you a lot more
I will try and disclose the name and it should not be hidden in my opinion if they can’t/won’t fix the issue
Try ClickUp for an alternative

I was experiencing similar problems with US dates displaying when in NZ, and I just resolved the issue. I have the correct formats set in the OS, yet dates continued to show using US formatting, which I most definitely don’t use here in NZ.

For me the problem was Chome. When it was installed by my sys-admin, they installed it using US English. I had to go into Settings, Advanced, Language, and add the specific New Zealand English language to Chrome. I set it as the default for Chrome. Once I did that, restarted Chrome, it worked.

While Asana are correct in that it is not their product that renders date, that answer is not fully helpful for those encountering this problem.

2 Likes

This is a must-have feature and very confusing and off-putting for non-American users. Sort it out please…

1 Like

changing the chrome browser language worked for me

settings > language > Language preference - English (UK)

then select english (UK) and put it as priority above system English

relaunch

viola!

Hi there @Emily_Roman
I’ve checked all of my settings - chrome, my OS - literally everything is set to Australian English with no American English in sight, and I’m still getting the date showing DD/MM. It’s super confusing for projects. I would really appreciate some help! Thank you.

1 Like

Hi @alex.bleasdale, welcome to the Asana Community Forum and apologies for the trouble here! In this case, I recommend you to contact our support team so we can help you investigate this further: How to contact our Support Team ✉!

I have checked all my settings - all set to Australia (region, date, language). Still getting US date format in asana so I can’t import CSV files. What else can I try.

I am sorry Asana but this is appalling service. How can a support request as simple as this still not be resolved in nearly 4 years, with so many people raising it?

Maybe, at a minimum, have the courtesy of justifying why it is not possible.

3 Likes

My team is remote and work across geographies. I also travel to various time zones. I find it difficult to manage dates in the tasks when I’m not sure which time zone the task is creating it in. For example, something that might be due on Wednesday in the U.S. would be due on Thursday in Asia. If I’m physically in the U.S. when I set this task, then great. If I’m traveling in Asia and I forget, I might set the task to be due on Wednesday intending that to be for the U.S., but Asana is actually setting it on Tuesday in the U.S. The same applies for those who travel to the U.S. from Asia.

Ideally, I’d like to be able to specify a fixed time zone for my own user account, so that no matter which time zone I am in, I know that when I create or update the task’s deadlines, that I am setting it correctly for the whole team. Currently, I have to actively think about it depending on where I am.

I really like this and can definitely get on board with it - while not such an extreme case, I work in different timezone remotely so if we set due times it often throws me a little cause I have to remember if it’s my time its using or theirs, lol. I also think, with Asana expanding into other markets, this will be a consideration for them (or should be).

Don’t forget to vote in the top left!

4 Likes

I have a variation on this, but I believe it dovetails with this thread…

As a frequent traveler who changes time zones a lot, I’ve noticed a behavior in the due times on Asana tasks. If I assign a task a due time of 8 am in one time zone, and then I travel to a time zone that is 2 hours later, the due time on the task automatically reverts to 10 am in the new time zone. In some cases, this is appropriate. In some, it’s not.

When specifying a task due time, I’d like some way to specify whether the time is fixed (and should automatically adjust when traveling, as in the 8 am to 10 am example above) or whether the time is relative (and should stay at the same time no matter what time zone I’m in — for example, 8 am would stay as 8 am even when in a time zone 2 hours later).

1 Like

Asana and timezones can be confusing. Here is what Asana has to say about it.

1 Like

Yeah - this is kind of a disaster. I love Asana for many things, but it’s the one thing that would stop me from implementing it on a wider scale. You guys have to jump on it soon as it’s only going to get worse over time. While it’s clever to set based on IP address, it’s not always accurate (e.g. working from an airplane WiFi, using a VPN etc) and it takes hours for it to reset with no way to check it or force it.) Also consider knowing you will be going to another country next week and prepping your week’s tasks from a different zone. Very problematic now.

6 Likes

Yes, I am working from different time zone from most of my team. It is really hard to set or fix due dates. As a project manager, it is really crucial being eye on those deadlines not to fall back. I would love to see this feature to be improved.

2 Likes

Dear Asana,

I work in an internatinal environment and have to travel a lot. When I open Asana in a different time zone, it adapts the times depending on the time zone I am in - which is clever in some cases. In others, it is confusing and not wanted.

For example, when I am in CEST and have a meeting scheduled at 10:00 am CEST, it is clever to change the time when I am travelling in CET - it adapts the time automatically to 09:00 am CET. On the other hand though, if I have a meeting scheduled at 09:00h CET and am in CEST, I have to enter the time in 10:00 am CEST so that when coming back to CET, I do not miss my meeting (happened alreday :wink: ).

I would like to have the option to select the time zone in which I enter the time. Would that be possible?

Hi @Alena and welcome to the Forum!

Thank you so much for taking time to share your feedback with us.

As it stands, It’s not possible to manually change your time zone within Asana. Time zone is determined based on your IP address. You can read more about it here:

We already have a thread on the Forum about this topic so I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with the main thread to consolidate feedback. I hope that is OK.

Have a great Monday!

Absolutely - Asana is making the classic UX mistake here of guessing what the user wants, sometimes getting it wrong, and then giving no way to override the guess. I just set a bunch of tasks to the wrong date because I happened to launch Firefox while I was connected to the VPN, and so Asana assumed I was in California rather than Australia, and put all my tasks in the wrong day. Even when I noticed it took a huge amount of wasted time to realize I had to disconnect the VPN, restart Firefox, start Asana, restart VPN ! What a pain. Surely its not too much to have a preference for setting the timezone manually, even my iPhone has that.

3 Likes

Hope they’ll make this possible

1 Like

I also find this challenging as I manage a global team. Hope to see some progress on this feature suggestion!

1 Like

This is causing huge problems for us as well. I don’t understand why Asana can’t simply add an override at the account level to ignore the users IP and use a set timezone.

9 Likes