Ability to copy sections including all tasks in that section

We would also really love this function - what’s the likelihood of it happening?

8 Likes

I’m really surprised to see this function doesn’t exist! Please can you implement it asap, the ctrl v helps a little but it doesn’t copy the subtasks so is still very time consuming.

12 Likes

Yes, I second what others have said. Please, please add the ability to duplicate a section with all of its tasks, sub-tasks, descriptions, etc. Thank you!

8 Likes

I also don’t understand how others are able to highlight a section. I have no ability to do that, as far as I can tell. Can someone tell me how they are highlighting a section so that it can be copied and pasted?

Copying sections would save me so much time!

2 Likes

Agreed! This would be incredibly helpful!

2 Likes

In addition to copying sections, it would be very useful if we can move Sections between Projects, carrying all of the tasks with them as you can currently do within a Project. Sometimes it is necessary to reorganise the structure of Projects, and it is a pain to have to copy the tasks separately and manually set up the Sections.

9 Likes

I’d also love to see this, if not in the product then at least via API. There are lots of frustrating aspects of using Asana, where I must take extra steps to do something that feels it should be straight forward.

3 Likes

Is there any update on this topic? When will this be implemented? I would love to be able to make some template sections to reuse, it would save a lot of time and mind-numbing busy work. Thanks!

3 Likes

Thanks Ruth! Great idea.

Really need this. The work around my team uses at the moment is to have template projects with the sections built out that we often use and then duplicate that project and check dependencies etc the full duplicate. Then we copy that full section fully built as it is over to the project section we want it to live in and delete that duplicate template project we made. If you have lots of different sections you either have to deal with a really long load time to duplicate one master template project with all your sections in it. Or make template projects for each section type you want to often reuse and deal with many archived template projects. It’s the only way I’ve found to use projects to manage portfolios of projects at the section level and easily reuse complicated dependency structures.

Please let us duplicate sections like we can duplicate projects with the full data.

2 Likes

I would love the ability to copy sections. I would like to be able to link to sections (you can only kinda sorta link to them currently). Section templates would also be nice.

Do we have an ETA when this feature will be enabled?

5 Likes

Not at the moment @Merrill_Mead but we will announce here as soon as we get an update!

Thank you for bringing this to our attention Merrill and welcome to the Forum! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I agree, need to be able to copy sections and move sections between projects.

2 Likes

Hi Natalia. I’ve noticed that ASANA seems to just ignore, often for years, requests for functional improvements from your dedicated users. Some examples are:

1. Copying (as in this thread)
  2. Adding additional date fields
  3. Simple calculated fields (+, -, *, /)

Many of these enhancements would make ASANA amazing. However, years go by with no enhancements. Is there any formal process inside ASANA to use the feedback in these forums? Of do you want to just us give an outlet for discussion among ourselves?

I’m a fan, but like many, feeling ignored by ASANA.

16 Likes

Hey Natalia,
Another useful feature would be the ability to turn a project template into a section in a chosen project. Thanks!

Hi All. Is it just me or does Copy/Paste NOT work on a Mac? I highlighted several tasks under a section, but when I go paste into another section underneath, nothing happens.

Am I pasting wrong somehow?

And how long will it be before Asana formally implement a Copy Section or Duplicate Section option under the section menu dropdown? It can’t be that hard??

1 Like

I am a Mac user. You can copy-paste tasks by selecting all the tasks with the shift key. CMD+C to copy. Then you need to make a new task and instead of typing a task name, you press CMD+V to paste – but your cursor needs to be in the text box of that new task.

I hope that makes sense. Note that it only pastes the task names. It doesn’t paste any of the descriptions, comments, assignees, dates, milestone/approval/dependency indicators, etc.

I agree what is really needed is a Duplicate Section functionality.

2 Likes

What a fantastic workaround! I wish sections could be copied whole-cloth and retain subtasks, descriptions, etc., but until Asana makes that happen, this solution works perfectly. Thanks so much!

1 Like