Ability to copy sections including all tasks in that section

I would like the ability to copy an entire section of a project including all tasks within that section. When you copy the section you would be able to give it a new name and all tasks would be duplicated into the new section.

Currently we are in the process of implementing a new IT system at different locations. The project is currently setup such that each location has its own section in the project and we have to go thru the menu option to copy each task so that it also brings corresponding attachments, etc.

Thank you

96 Likes

Hi @Jorge_Figueroa - have you considered copying the entire project and eliminating what you don’t need from the copied project? I think this option may be a bit easier for you, especially considering that you have tasks with corresponding attachments.

I recommend that you copy projects. You can do this like so. In the copy project menu be sure to select the information you’d like copied and deselect irrelevant information. Then, once you’re working with the project copy, you can just delete the tasks and sections that you don’t need.

2 Likes

Hi,

I think that I may not have explained clearly how I have the project setup now. I think your suggestion would work if each site rollout were its own project but it currently is not.

I have one project that contains the go-live tasks for the systems installation at each site. Each section corresponds to a site that will be installed. Depending on the roll out schedule I may have 3 sites installed per day. I then have to individually copy each task and put in the appropriate section.

I am attaching an image of how I have the project now.

Thank you for the response.

Jorge Figueroa

[/uploads/asana/original/2X/d/d65407d934260c1fabaa36ebe65c6f64c370bf3f.jpg]

4 Likes

2 Likes

@Jorge_Figueroa Might have missed something in what you are after, but if you highlight the Section and all of the Tasks then do Ctrl+C then go to the end of the project and do CTRL+V the Section and Tasks will copied exactly. You can then rename the Section to be the new site name. The complication will be that it will copy everything associated with that task, ie. comments, attachments, collaborators etc.

The other option would be to create a Template set of Tasks and Section in a seperate project which is you then copy across to the required project.

Jason.

10 Likes

Hi Jason,
When I use the method CTRL+C and CTRL+V it does not copy the description or attachments. In my case I do want the description and attachments to be copied because they contain detail of steps to be done, SQL queries, etc. When I use the COPY option from the menu for each individual task, it does copy the description and attachments.

The problem is that in my case every site deployment has 11 tasks and I can deploy 3 sites per day
 Therefore in order to accomplish entering in Asana the tasks for 1 day I have to use the menu copy/rename option 33 times. This is why I was thinking that if I can copy the section and rename it when duplicating, then all the tasks in that section can keep the same name.

If I create a template set of tasks wouldn’t I have to copy each one individually also?

Thank you for your response,

Jorge

4 Likes

Sorry @Jorge_Figueroa you are 100% correct, seems when I did my quick test I ended up looking at the original not the copied tasks. My apologies.

2 Likes

Hi,
In a simplified view, silicon design goes through the following stages: “specification”, “design”, “review”, “layout”.
I have ~40 blocks which need to be designed. I also want to know when this project is going to finish.
I’ve read the documentation and concluded that you can’t add new tasks to a pipeline because Asana doesn’t let you copy “Sections”.

• If I have one task which progresses through different “status” as progress is made, I won’t see a project end date.
  • subtasks don’t appear on the timeline so are of no use to me as I can’t manage resources.

Please can you add the ability to copy sections?

8 Likes

Thanks for your feedback @Will_Kelsey and welcome to the Forum!

We already have a #productfeedback thread on this topic (Copy Sections), so I have gone ahead and merged your post with the existing thread; hope that’s ok! Feel free to add your vote to this main thread as votes do not carry over when merging threads!

8 Likes

This was very helpful, Jason, even though it is neary 2 years old. I needed the same tasks in 12 different sections for a project template. My preference was Board layout, but the List layout will work. The time saved using cut and paste in List layout instead of 220 individual task duplications is well worth the change in layout. Thank you for your knowledge and help. Bettina

No worries @Bettina_Morton glad it was of help.

Jason.

I know it is a couple of years on but I was trying to work this one out as I still have the odd project where I need to copy sections (where the tasks have subtasks) but not a whole project, and copying a section task by task is a pain. I think I had a brain wave but there may be some geniuses out there already doing this. I thought I would share for anyone who comes looking. !

Create a single task that has all the tasks you want in your section as subtasks - name it ‘Section Template’ (or whatever you fancy) at the top of your project.

Duplicate the section template task (and all it’s babies, assignees, dependencies, whatever)

Simply then drag all the subtasks under your new section heading, and deletee the Duplicate Template task. - Rinse and Repeat! :slight_smile:

!

6 Likes

Howdy,
I need to create the about 30 Sections which will all have tasks of the same name. I’m having trouble duplicating a Section with its tasks included. Trying to do this now creates a new Section with all the tasks, but deletes the tasks from the original Section.
Thanks!

3 Likes

Yes duplicating a section does not duplicate its tasks. Maybe it will soon. Upvoting your feedback!

5 Likes

Hi @Logan_Hayden :wave:

As @Bastien_Siebman mentioned, at the moment it’s not possible to duplicate Sections including its Tasks.

One way to copy all your tasks at once is:

• highlight all Tasks you want to duplicate
  • do Ctrl+C
  • go to the Section you’ve created
  • do CTRL+V

Please note that when using CTRL+C and CTRL+V it does not copy the description, comments or attachments.

Asana is working to restructure Sections to enable these type of features. I’ll make sure to keep you posted on the Forum as soon as we have an update! In the meantime, i’ve gone ahead and merged your post with the existing thread we have on this topic to gather all feedback in one place.

I hope you don’t mind! Have a great day! :grinning:

7 Likes

It will be awesome when Sections can be copied in their entirety.
Until then, this Copy-Paste function is at least somewhat helpful.

Thanks!

4 Likes

Yeah
Really need the Sections Copy Request
I know sometimes feedback gets addressed by the number of requests so I figure I would beg for this and take the time to log into this forum

11 Likes

Copying Sections would be fantastic, please consider bringing this function!

11 Likes

Any updates on this? We are struggeling for month copying multiple tasks or sections to another project. Such a basic function should have been introduced a long time ago!

8 Likes

Yes, would love this function! Please consider implementing.

6 Likes