Ability to copy sections including all tasks in that section

Really really really would like to see some action on this item. This thread started in May 2017. That’s over 3 years ago!!!

5 Likes

Just another voice requesting this functionality.

5 Likes

Yes, this would be great. My other suggestion would be to enable us to create a project from a section similarly to how we can make a task into a project.

2 Likes

Did this ever get addressed. I still don’t see how you can duplicate a section with all the tasks easily without duplicating each task and then dragging it into a new section. I use the program for a construction company primarily to ensure the building of the houses get done on time and it would be nice to be able to duplicate a section with all its tasks every time we start a new house. We build about 80-100 houses a year so to have to manually go in and duplicate each task and drag to a new section is a pain.

2 Likes

Also in need of the ability to copy sections! Does Asana support ever read these requests and take note?

3 Likes

I also need this functionality.

1 Like

Also really need this functionality, please.

1 Like

Hi,
As a digital agency, we would love to be able to save ads creation protocols, customer meeting steps, scheduled tasks repeated into section inside a specific project. We have a library of activities and protocols and we use them on demand - sometimes multiple time on a customer project lifetime.
I rode people are using teams for 1 customer in order to use the project like sections.
I think it could save and helps a lot of hours of productivity for digital companies, not only, that love to process.
If it is in your dev pipeline, can you give us a hint ? Will give you a hug.

Hi @anon90164788, welcome to the Asana Community Forum! Thanks for sharing your feedback with us. We already have a thread on this topic so I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with the main thread to centalize feedback. We currently don’t have updates about this feature. but we’ll make sure to share updates as soon as we have them :slight_smile:

I would like the ability to copy a whole section and its tasks (with all info and subtasks) by clicking the three dots to the right of the section name. We can copy full projects, but I often find myself building out a new section for a client and then thinking I would like to add that section to all the other client projects as well. Now I have to create a section and copy the tasks and I can’t copy in bulk either if I have descriptions and subtasks that I want copied as well. If it’s only the name of the tasks it’s fairly simple.

This is especially handy when you have the same process for all your clients. A step further would be to be able to save sections as templates. And each time you create a new section you have the choice to create a new one or look for it in your templates library.

Thank you!

/Emma

4 Likes

Thanks for taking the time to share this feedback @Emma_Perols! I’ve also sent your request internally so it can be considered in future updates.

In the meantime, you can use the multi-select feature. I know is not the same that you are requesting but it’ll allow you to quickly make some actions in bulk.

@Emma_Perols,

Until/if that becomes available, here’s a workaround that at least handles the multiple-task copy:

https://forum.asana.com/t/multi-select-and-copy-tasks-to-another-project-using-modifier-key/28262/7

There’s another approach that’s somewhat related and useful sometimes:

Both methods necessitate that you create the section itself, but at least handle the bulk of the copy operation.

Larry

1 Like

This is very helpful @lpb! Thanks for sharing! :raised_hands:

1 Like

Hello everybody,

The template we use for our projects are build up by sections. These sections blocks all have tasks in it with predetermined due date’s and dependecy’s.

Is there a way to copy these section block with the due date’s en dependency’s? I could make like 20 section blocks in the template. But this is a lot of work and when the number of blocks exceeds 20 I have to do this manualy.

This picture shows the sections that I want to copy. This is just one of the 15 stages in the project that we use. That means if I want make the template complete, I have to do this 15x20 = 300 times :persevere:

Is there a tricks around this or a other solution?

Kind regards,

Duco Mast

Ctrl+C etc is not copying the group of copied tasks into a new section. Can you give more precise steps with screen snips. I need this, at least, to work.

Thanks so much!

Scratch that. I just went to make a Loom and it worked. Cheers!

Hi There,

I have a Project Management section I use in every template, however I can’t seem to figure out how to copy and paste this whole section from one to another.

I know I can copy a task over to another project but I don’t want to do this. I want these tasks/section to stand alone within each project

Is it possible to do this as it’s seem ridiculous having to manually create about 15 tasks & subtasks everytime I want this section added to a project.
Cheers
Tori

1 Like

Thanks for your feedback @anon5593202! As it stands, it’s currently not possible to copy sections including all tasks. We have a thread on this topic so I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with the main thread to consolidate feedback. In the meantime, you can have a look at the workarounds shared in this comment: Ability to copy sections including all tasks in that section - #52 by lpb

1 Like

Hi Tori_Jaffer,

My english is not that good but i will try it.

I had the same problem, what i did is:

i made one section complete whit all the needed data and then i exported the data to .CSV
In the excel sheed you can copy the lines and then you import the .CSV file in to asana.

In my case al the rules where imported in one section. But it is faster to select and drag the rules to the new section then copy the rules one by one.

I hope you this will help you.

3 Likes

Lately, I have been loading a lot of projects from a template project and then deleting half of the stuff I don’t want. I’ve realized what I’m after is a template “section” of tasks, that I could load into several existing projects. This would help address much of the difficulties with the inability to copy-paste large groups of tasks. Or, the ability to copy-paste large groups of tasks might effectively cover this need.

Basically, at my company, we start a project, and there are a set of tasks (in Asana) that happen to gather information and determine if we should prototype. Not all projects will prototype and having the tasks in the project to “prototype” right at the start would make people worried since the decision has not been made yet. Once we determine to prototype, I want to be able to load in a new section to the project that is the “prototype” section and contains all tasks for this (and then a section for “testing” once prototype is built, etc). As it stands currently, I am creating a new project from our mega-template, then deleting half the sections that aren’t approved yet, then adding the old project tasks into the new project to carry them over, then archiving the old project. All just to “reveal” the a new templated section of the project as it progresses.

1 Like